Forty-Six

Since the next week was also the last week of school, we didn't really have much to do all day. Music, of course, was my favorite class. Felix and I kept playing piano together, but for the most part, we just goofed off. I was never really sure if he considered me his girlfriend or not. He hadn't asked me, but he acted like it. We went everywhere together. We held hands. He walked me to class, kissed me goodbye, and called me at night.

I was flying.

The band's first real gig was a surprising success. Not because they weren't talented. Just that I hadn't expected so many people to get excited about a local band of teenagers. Of course, it had been for an outdoor celebration in which three other bands performed, but people had gone out of their way to ask for records and merch. My dad ended up booking them for another gig the following week, which also happened to be the last day of school. This one was supposed to benefit an animal shelter.

I was so excited for summer to start, so I could have more time to spend with my friends and Felix. But I did miss Detroit, and it would be my first summer away from home. All the plans I'd made with my friends at the beginning of the year weren't going to happen. Or at least they would happen without me.

But I guess that didn't matter anymore. The important friends called me when they could, and I had Billie, Quinn, and Felix now. California was still new to me, but they all had plans. They wanted to get me onto a surfboard. They wanted us to take Billie's uncle's beach house over for a weekend. We were going to go to parties and explore the city I still didn't know very well. At least I knew I wouldn't be bored.

After school, Felix and I walked home hand-in-hand. We were only walking because Quinn ditched us to do something with Billie. Actually, he'd driven past us, honking and waving, and we shouted a lot of profanities at him. But we weren't complaining now. It was hot. Too hot. But the walk was pleasant. We passed through shady streets overflowing with avocado and orange trees. Sometimes we would pass bushes of full, fragrant flowers that would make the air smell sweet as we bumped shoulders and smiled at each other.

We reached Felix's house before mine, so we just went there instead. His mom wasn't home from work yet, so we figured no one would mind if we turned our amps up all the way. Only we ended up abandoning our guitars quickly in favor of each other's lips.

We were on his bed, hot and breathing fast. He had his hands on my skin again. My shirt was almost up, but he never pushed it past my ribs. His hands were soft and warm where he touched me. I was squished beneath him, which made breathing a little harder when his lips found mine again, but I wasn't uncomfortable, and I sure as hell didn't want him to move.

"Would you believe me—if I told you I was ready?" I asked between kisses. He had his lips on my collarbone now.

"No," he replied honestly.

"Why not?"

"It's too soon."

"For who?"

"For us."

"Says who?"

"Me."

"You're sure." He nodded and moved his lips lower, nearly reaching the crest of my breast. "Do you not want me?" He leaned on his elbow and looked down at me.

"I think we both know that I want you, but I still think it would be best if we waited."

"Okay—just don't stop what you're doing." He smiled and reached down to kiss me again.

"I had no plan to," he said. Then his hand finally slipped under the rim of my jeans.

Later on, when I felt really fuzzy around the edges, he walked me back to my house to get ready for the gig. He kissed my lips again on the front porch, and I melted right back into it. So much, in fact, that neither of us broke apart until my dad pulled into the driveway and honked.

I didn't see him again until later. Billie and I were sitting at a back table while they got set up, and my dad ran around handling the job of roadie and manager all at once. We were just eating shaved ice while we waited for the benefit to start.

"So, have you guys fooled around yet?" Billie asked, digging a chunk of fruit out of her cup. I almost choked on ice.

"What?" I asked, wiping pineapple juice from my chin.

"You know—second base." She did quotations in the air. I couldn't see her eyes past her sunglasses, but I was sure she had that mischievous look.

"I don't know. Maybe."

"So you haven't had sex yet?"

"What? No."

"Do you want to?"

"Billie, my dad is like right there. Not to mention the entire band." She waved without looking.

"They're all getting ready, and your dad has been arguing with that guy over there for like five minutes. No one is listening. I just want to know what's going on in your life. I tell you everything about Quinn and me."

"Yeah, and I wish you'd stop," I said.

"So, do you want to have sex with him? Yes or no."

"I just—I don't know. Sometimes. Maybe. But I don't know—I don't think it's the right time."

"Is he good at the—you know—second base part?"

"I really don't want to talk about this anymore."

"Fine. I just heard that he was. I was curious." I glared, but it was probably lost behind my own sunglasses. I really didn't want to know what kind of stuff Felix got up to before we met. I knew it wasn't as bad as everyone said, but he was definitely more experienced than I was. And I certainly didn't want to hear about the girl or girls he'd practiced on before getting his hand down my pants.

"I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear that," I said.

"Fine. Sorry. That was rude."

I didn't say anything. We just turned to watch the guys finish getting set up. Quinn looked nervous. Felix didn't seem any different until he looked up and caught me looking. Then he smiled and told the guys to hold on a minute. He was at my side a second later, wrapping his arms around me, half pulling me from my seat.

"We'll be going on in a second," he told me.

"Oh, cool. I'll be rooting for you."

"Can I have a kiss for good luck?" I smiled but shook my head.

"My dad is here."

"He just went around the truck. I just saw him."

"Are you sure? It's your fingers." He grinned.

"Positive."

"Okay." So I reached up and kissed him. It was meant to only be a peck, but as usual, we melted into it and didn't pull apart until Billie loudly cleared her throat.

"I have to go," he said, pulling away.

"I know. I'll be watching."

"Wish me luck."

"Already have." He kissed me one more time before running back toward the setup.

"That was excruciatingly sweet," Billie said when I sat back down. I was suddenly twenty degrees hotter, and I was pretty sure I was blushing.

"Well, hey. At least you didn't walk in on your brother making out with your best friend," I reminded her.

"Yeah, that would have been weird. He's too old for you. But aw, you called me your best friend." I snorted.

"Of course you are."

We threw our cups away and made our way closer to the setup. Someone from the animal shelter came out to announce that the band "Shoot the Gems" would be starting the afternoon's entertainment. Billie and I whooped and shouted as loud as we could, but no one seemed as excited as us. Except for the few people who knew them. Mostly classmates and Aaron's brother's friends.

We were standing a bit closer to Felix's side of the setup. So while he played, he could look out and see me. He smiled, and I blushed back. And when the first song finished and Quinn was saying something into the microphone about adopting shelter dogs, Felix lifted his hands and made the shape of a heart.

"He's so in love with you," Billie whispered.

"Shush!" I replied.