Twenty-Three

"Are you ready, Kid?" my dad asked as we pulled up in the school parking lot. It was my first day back since the accident. I could walk around the house without bothering my dad's complete lack of patience. But I was still in considerable pain and had about a thousand pills to take.

"I'm not sure," I told him. It suddenly dawned on me that everyone would know. Billie told me they'd even had a stupid assembly to talk about drunk driving. And Quinn had apparently refused to go to school that day.

I was already late for class. First period was just about over. This was mainly because I needed help getting ready in the morning and misjudged how long it would take. So my dad and I decided to wait until class finished to get out. There was no point in spending five minutes there, next to Mr. Mopey Avoidy-Pants.

My dad wasn't even that upset with Quinn. He said he was just glad we were both okay. Crystal wasn't so happy. She didn't care so much about the drinking as she did about the driving. She always offered to give him rides, but he was too cocky and confident to accept them. But the Volvo had been totaled, so I had no idea what he would do now.

"You don't have to go back today if you're not ready," my dad told me.

"I know. I have to, though. I wasn't even caught up yet, and now I'm even farther behind. Besides, it's boring sitting at home by myself when you're at work all day."

That wasn't entirely true. Billie and Felix had both come over after school just about every single day. But Felix only came with Billie, so it wasn't like we had many chances to talk.

"I know, Kid. If you need anything at all, be sure to call from the office. I don't know if you'll even last the whole day."

"I'll be okay. Billie said she'd help out."

"Alright, Kiddo. Let's get you to class then."

He had to help me get out of the truck and then lifted my bookbag. I'd never had to carry one before, but since I was now dealing with broken bones, my dad sort of forced me to get one.

"You'll have to show me the way," he said.

It was an agonizingly slow walk. I was at least fast enough that my dad wasn't going to carry me into my class. Which probably had more to do with him not wanting to embarrass me than anything else. It was bad enough that Felix had already seen it. I didn't want the rest of the school to see it too. And he definitely wouldn't be able to carry me to every class. So I limped my way to my second-period history class while my dad followed along with my bag of books. He held the door open for me when we got there. And then I heard an ear-shattering shriek.

"Ruby!" It was Billie, nearly knocking over desks to reach me. She pulled me into a hug and squeezed. I forgot she was a squeezer. She'd been over a couple of times, but not usually when I was out of bed.

"Okay, Billie. Good to see you too, but I need you to let go because I can't breathe, and it hurts," I reminded her. She immediately released me and stepped back, looking horrified.

"Sorry."

"It's okay."

"C'mon, let's go sit down."

"Bye, Dad." I turned back around. He handed my bag off to Billie and smiled.

"Bye, Kid. Have a good day. Be careful. Call if you need me to come get you."

"I will. Thanks."

He left, and Billie carried my bag back to my desk. No one had claimed my seat while I was gone, but the moment I sat down, I was bombarded with questions.

"Alright, alright," Mr. V said from his podium by the chalkboard. "Yes, Ruby's back. She has stitches and a sling—time to move on. We have a lot to go over today. Can you write, Ruby?" He looked over the class at me.

"I'm right-handed," I informed him. My right hand was currently stuffed in a sling.

"You'll need an official note-taker then. Or at least someone to share notes with you."

"I will!" Billie shouted, sticking her hand straight into the air and waving it around for good measure.

"Of course you will."

He nodded and got started on his usual boring lecture. It was cool that I didn't have to write any notes, but it was even more challenging to pay attention to his droning voice without something to do. Not that I was ever any good at taking notes anyway. Just that they usually kept me from falling asleep.

When class let out, Billie carried my bag to English for me even though I tried to convince her it wasn't necessary. She stopped before the door because Felix was outside, leaning against the wall. He was busy flipping through his English book. So she shoved my bag into his arms to get his attention. He fumbled and nearly dropped it but managed a last-minute save. She sent me a knowing smile. Every time she's been over to visit, he'd come with her. He hadn't said much, but it still made my heart leap every time he would trail in behind her.

"I'll just leave you here then. See you at lunch," she said. She gave me a much gentler hug and walked off. I turned back to Felix.

"You don't have to hold that," I said.

"No, it's cool. I got it. A bit of a warning might have been nice, but it's Billie, so I can't be too surprised," he said. I laughed, and he smiled. "It's good to see you."

"You too."

"C' mon. Bell's about to ring."

I followed him into the classroom, and he set my bag down on my usual desk. Then he sat down in front of me and immediately began scribbling in his notebook. I heard Aaron the moment he arrived. He shrieked my name almost as loudly as Billie had.

"We've missed you. How's your head?" he asked as he hurried to his seat.

"Fully functional," I said. "I even know who you are." Felix laughed, but Aaron was too busy looking me over.

"Man, that mouse messed you up."

"I thought it was a squirrel," Felix said. Aaron shrugged.

"Same fucking thing."

"No. Not even a little bit close."

"How the fuck am I supposed to know? They're both rodents."

The bell rang, and our teacher went to the front of the room to start her lesson. She began going over our next assignment, which I sorely lacked notes on. We were supposed to be reading, but I missed most of the book. I was wondering how she would grade me when she brought it up. She asked if anyone would be willing to partner up with me until I was mobile again. Aaron, of course, raised his hand.

Felix didn't. But then he said, "I'll do it," as he looked at his notebook, scribbling something. He never really spoke much, as far as I knew, so I probably wasn't the only one surprised. But no one else argued.

"Um—Felix. Sure. Of course," Miss Falia said. She walked to the back of the room to pull one of the longer tables away from the wall. "You guys can work at this table back here." She went to get chairs, and Felix stood to take my bag. I trailed him back to the table.

"I don't want any cheating," she continued. "Ruby has to do her own work. You'll just have to write down her answers and share notes. Is that clear?"

"As day," he said, taking his seat and returning to whatever he was doing in his notebook. I sat down beside him, uncomfortably aware of his presence next to me.

"Thank you," I whispered when she returned to the front of the room.

"My pleasure."

We watched her hand out worksheets. Felix took both of ours, and I watched him write my name at the top of the first page. His handwriting was messy, and it was weird seeing my name in someone else's writing.

"So...," he said slowly, sitting back up and looking over our worksheets. "What's the answer to the first question?" I pulled it to myself and glanced at the question.

"Um—I wasn't here for any of this. I don't know a single thing about this book," I told him.

"Yeah—I figured as much."

He took the liberty of scribbling an answer for me. Then he repeated it in different words on his own worksheet. The rest of the class continued just like that. I could only answer a few questions that I remembered from the one chapter I read before the accident. Of course, Billie had brought me the book and my homework when I was recovering, but I hadn't done any of it.

At the end of the period, Felix went to turn in our worksheets while I did my best to gather my stuff up one-handed. But then he returned with Aaron and lifted my bag over his shoulder.

"Miss Falia wants to talk to you. I'll meet you after. Do you need your bag?" he asked. I shook my head.

"No, I have money in my pocket."

"I'll see you at the tree then?"

"Yeah, see you." They left with my bag, and I went to the teacher to see what she wanted. "You wanted to see me?" I asked when I reached her desk. She was quickly chugging coffee, trying to get as much in before the next class, I guess.

"I just wanted to make sure you were comfortable with this arrangement," she said, setting her mug down.

"Arrangement?"

"With Felix. I can set you up with another partner if you'd feel more comfortable. I don't mind."

"Oh, no. Felix is fine."

"Are you sure? I wouldn't want him to be a distraction." I was confused. Was she suggesting what I thought she was suggesting? That Felix was too hot for me to work with? Like I couldn't function in his presence?

"Um—he's fine. I promise," I assured her.

"Are you sure?"

"He's my friend," I admitted. "If he's even that. He's really more of a neighbor who says hi to me once in a while. He's not really going to distract me from anything. Besides, he's my brother's best friend. That sort of makes him off-limits." She adjusted her large octagonal-shaped glasses and looked down at the stack of worksheets she'd collected.

"Well, that's never stopped anyone before," she muttered. Then she looked back up at me. "I didn't know you had a brother. Do I know him?"

"Maybe. Quinn Emery."

"I have him sixth period. I didn't know he was your brother. I knew you were both involved in the same accident. I guess I just never put it together that you have the same last name."

"We're twins, actually."

"Oh—interesting." This conversation was dead. So I nodded once.

"Alright. Well—I have to go get lunch. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye, Ruby. Have a good day."

I left the room, perplexed by the entire conversation.