Chapter Thirteen: I'm Not Good Enough

Chapter 13

I sat in the waiting room chair, holding Rebecca's crying form. Mat was sitting next to me, bouncing his legs, holding his head in his hands. Rob sat on the other side of me, Rebecca's feet sat on his lap, shaking.

I look towards the doors, waiting for some sign that Reegan was okay. Nothing came. I bite my lip in fear. What if she was dying? What if something happened to her?

Finally, a nurse came emerged. She walked over to us.

"Mathew Nooch?" she says. Mat stands quickly. She motions for him to follow her, which he did hurriedly. They walk through the door and into the ER. Rob puts his hands together and looks at us.

"Are you guys okay?" he asks quietly. Rebecca shook her head no. I turn my head towards him, slightly giving him a smile.

"We'll manage," I say. Rebecca curls back up into a ball on my lap, removing her feet from Rob's. She starts crying again. She mumbles over and over again 'I can't have children'. Tears start falling down my cheeks and onto her arms.

I start kissing her forehead, my tears falling onto her face. She hugs me close, stopping her mumbles. Mat and the nurse reappear from the door. Mat's face had tear stains on his cheek. The nurse comes with him over to us.

"According to Ms. Reegan, she has requested a "Uncle Mitch", an "Aunt Becca" and a "Uncle Robby"," she said. The three of us stand, well, I carry Rebecca. The three of us walk into the ER, following the nurse like ducklings.

She leads us into a room where little Reegan was looking at the TV, hooked up to an IV and tubes in her nose. She turns her head to the side and smiles brightly.

"Uncle Mitch!" she yells, holding out her arms. I give Rebecca to Rob and walk over to Reegan. I hug her the best I could, trying to avoid hurting her.

"How are you kiddo?" I ask. She giggles as I pull away from our hug.

"I'm okay. The nurse said that I did good with blood tran... tran... what's the word? OH! Transfer," she said, smiling. She looks over to Rob and Rebecca. Her smile turns into a frown.

"What happened to Aunty Becca?" she asks. I suck in a breath.

"She's just sad, that's all okay?" I tell her in a monotone. Reegan nods as Rob sets Rebecca on her feet. Rebecca walks over to Reegan. Reegan's smile melts back onto her face.

"Hi Aunty Becca," she says, hugging her tightly. Rebecca pulls away after a minute or two.

"How's my little niece doing?" she asks. Reegan smiles.

"I'm okay," she says. Rebecca tries her best to smile.

"That's awesome," she says. Reegan smiles big as Rob walks over to her.

"Hi Uncle Robby!" she says. Rob smiles weakly.

"Hi peanut," he says, squatting next to her bed. Rebecca walk over to a chair and sits down. I do that same.

"Reegan, I'm so sorry for crashing into you. I could've killed you. I'm sorry," he said, starting to cry. Reegan takes his finger and kisses it.

"I forgive you uncle Robby," she says, putting his finger on her lap. Rob smiles and hugs her.

"Thank you Reegs," he whispers. I smile a little and look down at my lap, thinking about everything that's happening.

First, I meet Rebecca.

Second, Sadie dies.

Third, Mat finds Reegan.

Fourth, Reegan and I get into a car crash and she gets hospitalized.

Fifth, Reegan just forgave Rob for almost killing her.

She's a brave little girl.