Nothing's Ever Easy ~Chapter 12

Começar do início

“Were you the people who made the call?” I felt the woman nod her head.

“Ma’am, could you tell me what happened?” he kept his voice soft while two other people prepared a stretcher.

“I’m not sure. We haven’t been with her very long. She says that she might have been raped.” Markus answered for us.

“Okay, we need to get her on the stretcher and get her to the hospital.” He nodded at the other two men. “Do you know when this happened?”

“I don’t know.” I croaked. “I think I hit my head. I can’t remember much.”

“That’s fine. They’ll do some tests at the hospital. Can you tell me you name?”

“Evelyn. Evelyn Dawn.”

“Okay Evelyn, just remain calm.” I nodded and let them lift me up.

I refused to let go of the lady’s hand so she was permitted to ride in the van with me, Markus promising that he’d follow us in the car.

The sirens blared loudly but I soon tuned it out when I started to feel drowsy again. I saw the paramedic’s mouth move but I couldn’t understand what he was saying. I made a sound low in my throat and fell unconscious.

***

~Travis~

My eyes shot open immediately after a very disturbing nightmare. Someone in my family was hurt, I could feel it. I looked at the time and saw that it was long after midnight. I got out of bed and walked to the kitchen, passing the girl’s bedroom on the way. I peeped inside but saw that only Eleanor’s bed was occupied.

I frowned and walked inside. I shook Eleanor awake and hear her mumble out a ‘what is it?’.

“Where’s Evelyn? Didn’t she come home?”

“What?” she was a bit more awake now.

“Evelyn. Where is she?” I gestured over to her empty bed.

“I don’t know. She said that she was going out with Adrian for the night.” She rubbed her eyes.

“Okay. Go back to sleep.” I didn’t want to alarm her or anyone right now. I was sure that Evelyn was alright. Although a small part of me didn’t want to believe that.

I searched the rest of the house before I went back to my room and quickly dialed Adrian’s number. “Hello?”

“Adrian, I know I woke you up but it’s important.” I said quickly. “What time did you bring Evelyn home last night?”

“I didn’t.” my heart sank. “I had to go help my mom and she said that she’d take a cab. Why? Is everything alright?”

“She- She’s not here. I’ve searched. Adrian, what if something happened to her?” my breaths were shallow. “She has to be okay. If-if anything happened to her, I’d never forgive myself.”

“Panicking won’t solve anything, Travis. Give me ten minutes. I’ll be there and we’ll search together okay?” I nodded. “Travis, are you still with me?”

“What? Yes, I’m here.” I shook my head.

“Wait, for me. I’ll be there soon.” I could hear him shuffling around before the line went dead.

I looked at my phone till the light went out. I dialed another number, not knowing who else to call. “Please, help me. Evelyn’s gone. I have no idea where she is.”

“Travis, relax. I’m sure she’s around somewhere. Do you want me to come over?”

“No, you don’t need to.” I shrugged.