59

edited chapter

edited chapter

Chapter 59: Frozen Heart

{D. K}

         "I'm a bit busy right now, Stefan. So, make it quick."

         "I talked to Klaus, and he told me that the sword was literally the key to tell us what the map tattoo on Jeremy leads to."

         Dakota was standing in the Grill that had been decorated to accommodate the event that was taking place. She took a moment to herself to walk away from the surrounding people, urgency clear in her voice as she spoke. "Did Klaus also hand over the sword for safe keeping?"

         "Obviously not, why?"

         "Because, Tyler is the new Hybrid alpha now, and they're going to kill Klaus tonight."

         "How do you know that?"

         The brunette sighed, her heeled feet shifting from one to the other. "Because, I'm helping them."

         "Where are you right now?"

         "Winter Wonderland."

         Her tone was hard and held disgust as Dakota brown eyes saw kids running around outside, throwing artificial snow and one another. In the middle of all that happiness, was the blonde Barbie herself, dressed in a cream dress and wearing a bright smile. "Isn't that where Caro—"

         "—mmhm."

         "Dakota, please don't kill her."

         The vampire remained quiet, her attention captured by a dark painting, it's only source of light a pale blue—almost white snowflake that was hidden beneath all of the dark colors. "Hello, sweetheart."

         The phone slipped from Dakota's painted fingers, smashing down on the floor, thankfully it didn't crack. As she picked it up, she soundlessly hung up on Stefan, her shocked eyes glued to the man she was in love with. "How do you always find me?"

         "I never lost sight of you to begin with:"

         "Please Klaus, not today."

         "I'm not here to fight, I just want to talk."

         "I'm not capable of talking to you without a drink first," She side-stepped him, speeding hastily over to the bar and ordering a drink, but in order for her to get sufficiently drunk enough for this conversation, she shied away from her usual choice of whiskey and ordered a shot of patron.

          When Dakota's drink arrived, she shot it back quickly, it was smooth and didn't have as strong of a taste as she expected, but those were the worst kinds of liquor. They were silent but deadly, and she would get drunk very quickly, despite her tolerance. "Is this our thing now? We can only talk while intoxicated."

          "We don't have a "thing" anymore, so you can thank yourself for that."

          "That's actually why I came here. I want to explain."

          Dakota had the glass in her hand, refill already in the shot glass, filled to the brim. She threw it back, the clear liquid slowly easing her muscles and loosening her up. "Go for it."

          "When I was put in Tyler's body after Alaric killed me, I wasn't in full control of Tyler. Bonnie did the spell under the condition that Tyler could make his own conscious decisions." Klaus held his hands together, his fingers interlocking with one another. "And yes, Tyler had sex with Caroline while I was resided in his body, but I couldn't stop him."

         If the shots that were coursing through Dakota's veins weren't enough to cause a buzz, Klaus' words were. "So, you were riding shotgun in Tyler's body? You yourself weren't seriously having sex with her."

         Klaus had already denied Dakota's words as soon as she stopped talking, he even added a look of disgust for good measure. "I'd never want anyone else but you."

          "Why didn't you tell me this in the first place?"

         "Because, technically, what I said was true. Even while just being a passenger in Tyler's body he called the shots. If I protested, Tyler would've blown my cover and he would've had to tell them why he was acting weird, and by this time he'd already broken my side bond without my knowing. Alaric and my mother would've known I was still alive if Tyler was acting weird, and we both would've been killed."

         There was a pause before Dakota was able to remember how to use her mouth to make out when words needed to create a sentence. "Were you serious about the other stuff? About wanting to be king?"

         "I was. I do want to be king, but I can't do that without a queen." Klaus leaned in to kiss Dakota, but the alarmed face of surprise was expressed on his mature features when she denied him with the swift placement of her hand over his lips.

         She coughed out, clearing her throat. "I don't hate you." She assured, feeling extremely guilty that she was about to help Tyler with his plan to momentarily execute Klaus. And with Tyler's mindset, she knew that he would be in no particular rush to dig up Klaus' body and allow him to walk the earth freely. "—but I think that we should stay single for a little bit. Things between us are complicated and I need some time for simplicity."

         "Okay," Klaus agreed, pursing his lips in a way that showed her denial of being with him was anything but okay. "I can wait."