25

edited chapter

edited chapter

Chapter 25: Impulsive Decisions

{K. M}

      "Hello, Niklaus." Mikael greets, standing on the front porch. The spell that Bonnie preformed granted him only a ten minute window into the house to get rid of Dakota for the time being, until it wore off and he was forbidden to enter without permission.

      "Hello, Mikael. Won't you come in? Oh, that's right, I forgot, you can't.

      "Or, you could come outside if you want."

      "Or, I can watch my hybrids tear you limb from limb." Upon hearing their masters threat, all of the sired hybrids stood on the lawn, blocking Mikael from leaving.

      "They can't kill me."

      "Oh, I know. But they'll have an amazing time trying. We could make it a new party game. Hybrid edition." Klaus joked, although there was an undertone of truth in it.

      Mikael grinned. "The big bad wolf. You haven't changed. Still hiding behind your playthings like a coward." The vampire hunter sucked in a breath, and adjusted his stance. "Unlike your girlfriend, Dakota. She's very feisty and her blood is decadent. You could say it was aged to perfection."

      Klaus tensed and his fist tightened so much that his knuckles strained against the skin. "You're bluffing."

      "Am I?" Mikael turned to his left, opening his arms so one of the hybrids passed him Dakota's limp body. "They may be sired to you, but they're still part vampire and can be compelled by me."

     "Give her to me, now." Klaus stepped forward, trying his hardest not to get out of the home, but he needed Dakota. "This is not a game, father. Give her to me."

     "Why? So you can have her by your side? She doesn't care about you. Nobody cares about you anymore, boy!"

     Tears created a glossy sheen over Klaus' eyes. "My whole life, you've underestimated me. Now if you don't hand her over, I'll rip your heart from your chest."

     Mikael hadn't picked up in what Klaus was doing. He was buying time so Dakota could wake up, which she already had moments ago, but she was waiting for something. "Your impulse prevents you from truly being great, Niklaus."

While Klaus was distracted, his mind set on Dakota, Damon came from behind and attempted to stab Klaus in the back. Making her move, Dakota kept from Mikael's loose grip and pushed Klaus out of the way. The white oak stake embedded itself in her abdomen, curving upwards to scrape her heart and for a millisecond, her body began taking over a grey sheen before her witch friends came to play.

Mesmerized by the interaction, when Dakota had pushed Damon away and sped over to Mikael it didn't register to him what was happening until she had shoved the stake into his heart, his body going up in flames moments later. "Sleep tight, you Original prick."

"Dakota I—" Damon started.

"Before I gain enough energy to kill you as well, I suggest you leave."

His presence had vanished and the pain had appeared. "Ow," Dakota groaned, her body leaning forward as the adrenaline from killing Mikael had worn off.

Klaus was quick to exit the Lockwood residence to catch his girlfriend before she fell. "You're so stupid."

"Well stupid just saved your life. So thank her." Klaus picked Dakota up bridal style, and carried her up to the guest room she had claimed earlier. "I haven't really heard a thank you."

Staying quiet, Klaus began discarding Dakota of her dress putting on the shirt that she was wearing before the party. "I'm not going to thank you for nearly killing yourself. It was stupid and reckless. Not to mention dangerous."

"I'm a vampire, danger is kind of in the job description, and stupidity and recklessness kind of doesn't stray too far behind."

While Klaus took off her heels, Dakota started taking out some of the bobby pins that were scraping her scalp because they were holding onto the hair so tightly. "Stop joking around, Dakota. This is serious."

"I killed your father," Dakota pointed out. "That was kind of the whole plan, isn't it."

Klaus loosened his tie, it suddenly feeling too tight. "Yes, but you were supposed to follow the plan, not act on impulse and nearly die."

"Technically, I'm already dead."

"Why have you stayed by my side so long?" Klaus spontaneously questioned, his mind thinking back to when Mikael said nobody cared about him.

Dakota's eyebrows furrowed together. "What kind of question is that?"

"I haven't compelled you, I haven't made you turn of your humanity. I haven't forced you to kill anyone, but you've listened and you've stayed by my side. I want to know why."

She sighed, sitting down on the large bed. "Because, I'm not good. I came into this town so I could live in my home, and feed when I pleased. Meeting Damon was cool and he understood me, but he'll do—he'll become anything Elena wants him to because he loves her. He's the bad guy, but for her, he'd do good." Dakota shrugged. "I can't do that. I'm bad and I love it. I like being the villain, because being the hero is too hard. There are too many rules and I feel like I'd have to walk on eggshells not to break them. I've stayed by your side because you're not good either, and that's something that neither of us can change. It's just wired in our DNA."

      Seeming satisfied with her answer, Klaus sat down on the bed beside her. "If you knew even a fraction of who I am, it would break you in two."

      "Good thing I heal fast then."

A/N

I found out what sentences I'll be doing during the upcoming chapters starting at Chapter 27, which I've already written. I'll begin posting then tomorrow as a small Christmas present.

Thanks for reading and commenting. I appreciate it. Love you guys!