Chapter 4

Rylie's POV

The next 2 weeks were spent preparing for school. Doing summer assignments, buying school supplies. Squeezing in those last moments of summer, that we would soon have to wait a whole year to get back again. The first day of school went something like this...

I rolled out of bed to find my outfit that i had laid out last night. I had black and white Aztec printed leggings, a loose purple t-shirt, and a cream colored knit scarf. I slipped on my ankle-high brown boots, had a banana, and walked out to my car. Justin was already leaning against the silver Nissan car. I unlocked the car and hopped in next to Justin, pulling down the long driveway. Our fore-arms resting on the leather glove-compartment between our seats, Justin's huge, rough hand set on top of mine. I looked down at it and smiled.

His khaki cargo shorts and his light blue polo matched most boys at my school. While all of the girls had different, unique outfit. But of course, there were those few people that wore the same knock-off shirt that was in style 4 years ago. My school is easy to figure out, so I knew Justin would be ok.

My first few periods, like everyone's, were handing out papers, class policies, and forms. Lunch came, and soon I was sitting with Hannah, and my friend Erin. Justin had a friend that he knew somehow, I forgot to ask how he knew him, his name was Ryan. Justin and Ryan sat with us. Lunch came and went, and before I knew it, school was over. I got back in the car and waited for Justin. 5 minutes passed and he finally made his way over, and we went home. We talked to Pattie about our days, and Pattie made some dinner. 

The next day at lunch, Justin told me he would be going to Ryan's house, so he wouldn't need a ride.  So, that day after school, Hannah and I got into my car, driving back to my house.

"So do you guys, like, hold hands or anything yet?" Hannah eagerly asked. 

"Well we do, but like not really," I spoke, turning on my blinker to turn into my driveway. 

"What do you mean? You do, but you don't. Wow, Rylie! The makes so much sense." She sarcastically yelled, waving her hands for emphasis.

"No he like, I don't know. Puts his hand like on top of mine," I shrugged, ppulling into the garage and hopping out of the car.

"Do you pull away?" She questioned, needing to know all of the gossip about me and Justin. 

"No... Its kind of, like, nice. To know that someone actually like cares about me again, besides you of course," I smiled at her, and she laughed. 

"I think it's adorable! You guys should definitely date, Rylie. You're so cute together. And it's good for you to get over Will," she sighed. I remained silent, opening the door to my house. Pattie was out running errands, so Hannah and I relaxed in the living room. After about a half hour of talking the front door opened. 

"Hi Pattie!" I  yelled into the air.

"Hi girls!" A deep voice said, pretending to be like a woman's voice. I rolled my eyes and sat up, turning around to look down the hallway. There was no one there. I stood up and grabbed the remote to the TV. Hannah looked at me with a confused look, but I ignored it. I  tip-toed down the hallway, the remote in my hand, ready to hit.  I came to the end of the hallway, and looked to my right, there was no one there. Just as I was about to turn to my left, a deep voice yelled and I screamed as they took me in their arms, pulling me to them. I looked up at the face and it was Justin's. I started hitting him.

"I hate you!" I yelled, breathing heavily. He let me go, laughing uncontrollably.

"You- were- so- scared!" He choked out between laughs.

"I was not!" I said defiantly.

"Yeah, okay," he smiled as I walked into the living room, where Hannah was sitting in her chair, doubled over with laughter. 

"Were you in on this?" I yelled at Hannah. Unable to respond, she nodded. After she calmed down she spoke.

"I couldn't resist! Your reaction was so funny though," she gasped.