Chapter 3

It was now 4 o'clock, and I walked into my kitchen to see Pattie rummaging through the cabinets.

"Honey, where do you keep the brown sugar? I'm making oatmeal raisin cookies," She yelled, sensing my presence. I walked over to her, having now athletic shorts and a sweatshirt on- the air conditioning was on high-. I opened a lower cabinet, and pulled it out.

"Oh, thank you," she smiled, " I'm going out to the store. I'll be back in about two hours maybe,"

"Yeah, no problem. And that's fine. I'll be here," I said, walking into my lounge and sitting down on my couch with my laptop, just as it started raining. I heard the front door open and close, indicating that Pattie had left. My phone suddenly vibrated.

Justin: Knock knock

I smiled down at my phone, before typing back. 

Me: Who's there?

Justin: Justin

Me: Justin who?

Justin:  It's me, Justin. Let me in. I got locked out.

Me:  Um, no thanks.

Justin: Come on please

Me: Hahaha no

Justin: It's pouring out. Don't be a bitch.

I stopped responding to his mesages. Until I saw a brown-eyed, shirtless boy standing on my balcony, sopping wet. I got up, laughing. This was a great joke. I opened the door to the balcony and let him in.    

'I can't believe you wouldn't let me in,"  Justin pouted, looking at me with puppy dog eyes. 

"I'm sorryyyyy. I forgot it was raining. Stay there," I said, pointing to him. A minute later I returned with a large, new sweatshirt that my mother stocked in one of the guest room's dressers. I also had a towel. I threw them over to him over to him. He caught them and dried off his shoulders and chest. He lifted the sweatshirt above his head and his abs protruded out of his stomach. The grey sweatshirt fell around him.

I sat down on the couch, and pulled my knees up to my chest. Justin sat down on it as well.

Justin's POV

Rylie and I talked for a while. Her bleache blonde curls bouncing as she laughed. 

"Listen, you're going to be the new kid at school. My school is fine about new kids we don't harrass them. But don't embarrass me. Can't have someone ruining my senior year's reputation" Rylie smiled.

"Well then what about me? That means you can't embarrass me," I responded, sitting up.

"Well I don't know enough about you to embarrass you yet," Her head tilted to the side as she spoke. 

"Hmm. Okay. I'm afraid of spiders, and sharks. And I'm allergic to celery," I confessed. Rylie bit her lip in concentration.

"Alright. I like to bake. Im terrified of thunderstorms, and the dark. I love animals, but I hate all bugs," She said, repostioning herself. 

"Afraid of thunderstorms? You get a ton of thunderstorms here!" I laughed.

"I know, and we lose power a lot here... I'm afraid of the dark so add them both together and Rylie is not a happy girl," she crossed her arms.

"Do you like rain? Like how it's raining out now?" I questioned. It was pouring putside, but nothing major.

"Yeah, I don't mind it. Just thunder and lightening scares me," She nodded.

"Why?" 

"Because of this video my brother showed me when I was 5, and then my great uncle died of being struck by lightening. But i didn't know him. But let me show you the video, it's scary," She said, grabbing her phone and getting up to sit down right next to me, our arms touching as she leaned  into me.