Encounter (Preview)

One

“…then she had the audacity to…but I’d never let her steal my…’cause I’m a good person you know?” Kyan Rogues let Relia Alexins drag on her one person conversation, only picking up a few parts of what she was saying. He had more serious things to think about, but he also didn’t feel like listening to her talk nonsense. He did this often, only half listened to what people told him, it had become a habit. He didn’t feel like anyone had anything important to say anymore, so he didn’t have any desire to listen. “…so I stabbed her in the face and chest and ear multiple times, Kyan are you even listening to me?” that was his inevitable cue.

                “Uh yes of course, what a bitch.” He looked up from the cheap wooden table he’d been drawing circles on with his jagged chewed nails. Relia had a grimace across her face that clearly came from his lack of attention. “Nah you’re right I wasn’t listening. I really hope you were kidding about the killing part though.” He saw a smile make its way onto her face and he silently felt better, thanking God for creating humor.

                “You’ve been really out of it lately, more than usual and I’ve known you for what, all my life? You’re a boy, yeah, and that explains some of it, but I’m starting to worry about you Kyan.” Her smile faded and a worried look sprawled across her lips to replace it. He looked her in the eyes and sort of shrugged for a response. “You are the definition of impossible you know that?” He smiled and her worried expression seemed to dissipate.

                “You are the definition of insistent did you know that-”

                “I wouldn’t have to be if you were less pretentious-”

                “How am I even close to being pretentious?” They smiled at each other; rarely did they ever have serious conversations and the off chance that they did it ended on a light note. They knew one another like they knew the alphabet, backwards and forwards. It was the result of seventeen years together; their parents living right beside each other their entire lives. Years of tears and holes punched in the walls kept them closer than any other friends they had.

                Little light brown lines covered a three by four inch space on the wooden table from the circles Kyan had drawn earlier, he brushed his hand over them to wipe away the bits of nail and wood and to watch the lines darken and half disappear under his palm. The waitress appeared beside the table with Relia’s coffee and his tea. The white ceramic cup felt warm under his fingers, he gripped it tighter and let the warmth seep from his finger tips to his heart, filling him up. Lately the warm weather was avoiding him, his body refused to succumb to the heat, always staying frigid cold. It wasn’t an uncomfortable temperature to him though, it was nice for him to touch warmth and let it take over his cold skin.

                “You alright there buddy?” Relia peered over her mug and raised an eyebrow at him. He nodded and sipped on his tea to affirm his answer. She continued to stare at him waiting for him to break and tell her if there was something wrong, but he knew there wasn’t anything to say.

Relia was an attractive girl; her light straight brown hair made her pale skin look less pale, and made her light brown eyes pop from behind her straight short bangs. She was average height for a girl, and her body filled out clothes in a very flattering way. Kyan never really looked at her before, but he became very observant in the small café. He watched this girl grow up and become this beautiful woman right before his eyes. He had always felt entitled to protect her, she was like his sister.

                “Stop staring, it’s creepy.” He winked.

                “How did you, of all people, get blessed with seafoam eyes?” She set her mug down and crossed her arms over the table in front of her, changing the subject.