XVII. The Unforgotten Fallen and the Deceiving

Start from the beginning

She looked uninterested as if a student getting shot didn’t please her that much. What was she expecting? A tragedy than a wounded girl being sent to the hospital? Did she expected more chaos than hoards of students running for safety? The way her golden blue eyes seemed to narrow on me as I fidgeted in my seat, waiting for the photos to download into my flash drive, I knew she was suspicious of me being there. But in the last second of staring into those eyes of hers, I had thought I saw pain though, it vanished quickly replaced by that intimidating blank look of hers.

The sound of banging snapped me out of my thoughts as I saw Helena hitting the fence with the bat, her narrowed eyes continued to watch me with impatience etched on her face. 

“I’m waiting,” she arched an eyebrow.

“Er…I’ll wait in the library for you ‘til you finish practice,” I told her, giving her a small smile before turning around.

“I’ll be there in fifteen minutes.”

I nodded at her and made my way. As I walked out of the softball field entering the courtyard where some students lingered around with their friends either on the few tables that were out here or under the trees’ shades, I felt eyes on me. Watching me as I walked down the path towards the Main Building that the library was in. I looked over my shoulder, my eyes scanning everywhere only to see nothing out of the ordinary. I shrugged off the feeling yet I could still feel those hidden eyes on my back.

It’s probably nothing, I thought but I couldn’t suppress the shiver wracking through my body.

By the time I entered the library, I was surprised to see Ella placing back books into the shelves with a cart full of them beside her. Her ash blond hair was braided yet a few strands framed her face. She had an easiness to her that confused me a little. If someone looked at me, they would see a shaken up girl clutching to her sanity unaware that this girl was being hunted by a gang. A ruthless gang at that. Yet Ella still carried on with a smile on her face and a carefree stance as she lived each day with no worry. I wished I had that charisma. Having no worry of the dangers tomorrow might bring or be able to smile genuinely like her. 

I was afraid if I smiled, I would break down and let the fear and revelation swallow me at the mere thought of the Black Vendetta. But instead, I remained calm and not let it overcome me. I have to let everyone see that I would not be easily pushed down. I’m going to be strong. My parents raised me to be a strong, independent woman and I would do just that. 

With that in mind, I walked to the farthest table yet still in view of the entrance of the library. I placed my bag on the table and sat down before briefly looking around the room. In my old school, the library there didn’t have much bookshelves with so many books. Maybe ten or twelve bookshelves but in this library, there were more shelves and even a staircase leading upstairs. I hardly spent any time in this library to actually explore it. The wonders of the second floor was gnawing at the back of my mind, pushing me to just get up and walk upstairs to see what lurked. 

A few students entered my view as they walked down the stairs, carrying a set of books in their arms though, the titles were hidden from me. The sound of a light squeaking grabbed my attention to see Ella approaching me with the book cart. Her pink lips spreading into a grin as she stopped the cart just a few feet away from the table and gingerly sat down beside me, clasping her hands together.

“Hi, Amanda,” she began, her emerald green eyes were bright. “I haven’t seen you here lately.”

I smiled back at her, playing with the strap of my bag, “I’m actually waiting for Helena.”