Five

"Really? You guys aren't shucking me are you?" I asked, a smile broke out on my face.

Minho rolled his eyes and said sarcastically, "No shuck-face. We're just out here to have a tea party while we feed you to the Grievers."

Nick snickered, "What Minho's trying to say is...you're a Runner. But, twice a week you'll be working with the Builders. I guess that's what shocked us the most. Gally wanting you to be part of the Builders. Even said some of the Builders agreed."

I raised my eyebrow at that, "So what do I start off then?"

Alby shared an amused look with Minho, "Today. Minho here is going to train you."

"Don't expect me to go easy on you, Tiger. I don't care if you're the only shucking girl here. I'll work you out until you klunk your pants." Minho said.

I nodded, "Ok, Min."

"That's Chief to you."

I held back my smile, "Whatever you say, Chief."

Nick and Alby walked off. Minho looked at me with a huge grin, "Payback shuck-face. For your first lesson...go run around the Glade at least six times. After each lap, you'll give me 30 push-ups, 30 crunches, 15 bicycle kicks, and 50 jumping jacks. And no complaining." I groaned. Minho tsked, "Is that complaining coming out of your shucking mouth? Do you want me to tell Nick your not up for this?"

I glared at him, "I hate you." I started running.

"You love me." Minho called out. I laughed.

》》》》

"3...2...1...annnnnnd you're done." Minho said.

I fell down after and tried to catch my breath. My body hurts, I'm sweaty, I probably stink, and I'm hungry. That's right, Mr. Chief over there didn't give me a break. Even when I pulled a charley horse on both my legs. It hurt like a shuck, I'll tell you that. I had to speed walk until the pain faded.

"Satisfied." I said.

He chuckled, "Very."

He was about to leave for dinner before I called him back. He looked back at me and asked me what I wanted. I raised my arms up, "Carry me."

"Are you shucking kidding me, Tiger?" He asked.

"Hey, you're the one who worked me out all day. I'm tired and my legs hurt. Carry me." He sighed and came over. He picked me up and tossed me on his shoulder. "Thank you."

He started walking towards the kitchen, "It's a win-win. You get carried and all I need is to turn my head to get a great view." I gasped and hit his back. He chuckled, "I'm just klunking with you."

We reached the kitchen and he sets me down. I slowly moved to the line as best as I could. I am going to be sore tomorrow, that's for sure. Frypan handed me some food and I thanked him. I went over to the usual table and sat next to Liam.

"Rough day, Greenie?" Liam asked.

"Yes." I groaned. I nodded over to Minho. "Thanks to that Slinthead over there."

Newt chuckled, "I guess training day didn't go bloody well."

I shook my head, "I'm gonna get you back for this, Min. Maybe I'll cut your hair off while you're sleeping or I'll dye it." I looked at Newt and Liam, "How do you think he'll look with pink hair?"

They both chuckled. "We'll have to call him flaMinho." Liam joked.

I laughed as I leaned my head on his shoulder. Newt gave us a confused look before going back to his food. What was that all about? Minho send Newt a look that said I told you so.

I ignored that, "Thank you guys so much anyway. I'd hug you both, but my arms hurt."

"Speaking of hurt, my nose is starting to hurt from your stench." Liam said.

I groaned as I slowly got up, "I know. I know." I glared at Minho as he smirked at me. "Can any of you guys guard the door while I shower?"

"I could, I'm done anyway." Newt said and got up.

Minho send Newt a smug look. I ignored it again and made my way towards the bathroom. I usually do this. Whenever I showered, I'd ask Nick, Newt, Liam, Gally, Minho (if he ever finished his runs early), or Alby to guard the door. Yes, Gladers are suppose to trust each other, but I trust them the most.

The water started pouring, I'm still surprised how there's running water and electricity here, and it started to sooth my sore mussels. A slow smile appeared on my face. I'm a Runner now, I'm a shucking Runner now. Along with Builder, but I'm ok with that. Today was bad, but the pain was worth it. I turned off the water and stepped out. I went over to my clean clothes pile. I put on my undergarments and shorts, but my shirt wasn't in the pile. Shuck! I knew I forgot something.

I slowly opened the door, only popped my head out and looked shyly, "Hey, Newt. I - um - forgot my shirt in our room. Could you go get it for me please?"

"Sure." He said before leaving.

I waited till he was out of view before closing the door. I was only for a minute before I heard the door knock. That was fast, he must have ran. I went over to open it. The door only opened a few centimeters before it was pushed open. My eyes widen as the person closed the door. That was not Newt on the other side.

It was Liam.