Thirty One: Things Left Behind

"I'm going to head this way," I motioned towards the craft section of the department store. Michonne raised an eyebrow, and I just waved her off, and she headed towards the drugstore end. I came across the paints, grabbing some yellow, white, and blues. I grabbed a variety pack of paint brushes, unsure which we'd need, but I assumed we'd need the bigger ones for the walls and floor, and the smaller ones for any details. I shoved the things into my bag, grabbing some paper and colors, just in case Judith wanted to scribble.
I was heading for the toy section when I heard Michonne shifting through the back of the drugstore counter. I headed towards her, stopping in front of the counter. "Uh, I'd like to refill my prescription for anti-walker spray." I chirped in a girly voice. Michonne peeked up and over the counter at me, a huge smile shaping her eyes.
"Sorry, we're all out." She chuckled, standing up.
"Darn, guess I'll just have to be a badass." I sighed, pulling out my machete and twirling it in my hands, flipping my hair.
"You get what you were looking for?" Michonne asked, hopping over the counter and grabbing something off of the shelf behind me.
"Yeah," I nodded, "I want to go to the toy section really quick. You should make sure there's nothing canned or boxed left in the foods." Michonne gave me a thumbs up before heading off in towards the aisles full of expired food. It was really beginning to stink over there, and waft through the store.
I walked into the various toys, seeing plenty of things that would do for the dollhouse. I felt tempted to grab something for Carl, too, but I knew he wouldn't like it very much. He'd grown up way too fast, and he'd probably take the dang robot apart and make a gun silencer or something. I rolled my eyes, containing a laugh at the thought. At least Judith had one upside of being born in the apocalypse, she could have whatever toy she wanted, free of charge.
I grabbed some cute tiny wooden furniture that was supposed to be bought with a dollhouse on the shelf beneath it. I ripped open the dollhouse package, grabbing the tiny people taped in the rooms. I stuffed the box of furniture in my bag and the people into a pocket in my jacket. I began to walk back to find Michonne, but passed the hunting equipment.
Most of it had been stripped, literally just things on the top and bottom shelves were left, tiny things left on the middle ones. However, something caught my eye. I walked down the aisle, finding a pair of fingerless gloves that looked like they'd been left behind. Must've had to take them off for some reason.
I picked them up, inspecting them and trying them on. They were flexible, yet leather or faux leather, I couldn't be sure. They were a bit worn out, but still intact and surprisingly fit well. A girl must've been wearing them, or a small boy, because no man could have such small hands. I tugged on the other, gripping my machete. They definitely helped with grip, as my hands tended to get sweating. They would help a ton.
Happy that I'd come across such a nice surprise, I went off to look for Michonne. I ran into her, literally, while turning into the first food aisle. "Oo-" I fell backwards from the impact, and I looked up to see Michonne trying to contain laughter, her sword ready to slice my head off. "Hey, lower that!" I chuckled, getting up. She lowered her katana, then wiggled her bag around.
"Looks like someone was in here, they left a bunch of stuff. Not sure why, but there was a bit of food. Must've been in a hurry or needed space. What's more important than food?" Michonne looked confused.
"Dunno, maybe they filled some stuff up with water. I found these," I raised my hands and wiggled my fingers, "with the hunting stuff. Probably from them, too."
"Let's just get back to the farm." Michonne looked a bit freaked out, which put me on edge. Not a lot could make this samurai worried, and if she was, you should be, too.
We made our way to the front doors, suddenly becoming very quiet and sneaky. I looked through the glass doors, making sure our path from here to the truck was clear, then we made a jog for it. I got into the driver's seat and started the engine before Michonne was even settled in her seat. She tossed our bags in the back, and I pulled out of the parking lot. I turned onto the highway that headed towards home at top speed.
"You think it's something to worry about?" I asked, looking over at her straight face.
"Maybe, but we haven't heard of anyone but the guy you brought in. Might've just been passing through." I nodded, she had a point. We didn't have to be too worried, not unless there were signs of a large group, or if the signs indicated it hadn't been long since the person had been around.
Back home, everything was normal. I'm not sure what I expected, maybe a group trying to take over the farm. That wasn't the case, though. Daryl was helping Rick, Cory helping Carl, Mom was presumably inside with Carol and the baby. Who knew what my Dad was up to, and Glenn and Maggie were checking one fence while Tyreese and Tom checked the other side.
Cory and Daryl both perked up as the truck came down the drive, and I knew they were both ready to drop their things and come to me as soon as I stepped out. That's when it clicked, when I realized that Cory had feelings for me. I sat in the driver's seat, staring at the two. Neither moved, though they both sort of got this look. A confused look, wondering why I hadn't gotten out yet. Michonne was already getting the things from the backseat.
"Grace?" Michonne whispered to me. I looked at her through the rear view mirror.
"Sorry." I responded, getting out of the vehicle. They both began to walk over, and I could see Daryl noticed that Cory was heading my way, and Cory seemed to notice this as well.
Daryl beat him, but that just made Cory slow down a bit. "Hey, what's wrong?" Daryl asked, grabbing my upper arm, staring at me with his wonderful blue eyes. I shook my head and shrugged. "Food should be done soon, we'll eat then we'll go have some alone time." I nodded, that's what I needed. I wanted to work on the dollhouse or sleep, something to clear my mind.
Cory seemed to hear Daryl's words, because he looked even more confused. Michonne handed me my bag before walking towards Rick. I put it over my shoulder, then slipped my hand into Daryl's. Cory looked between us, and I just gave him a small smile before following Daryl, who led me to where Rick and Michonne stood.
My heart sank, I hadn't meant to hurt Cory in any way, but I really hadn't known he liked me. Putting him down this way was even worse, I'd rather I had gotten the chance to talk to him, instead of seemingly flaunting Daryl and I's relationship in his face. I held back a sigh, not wanting to draw any attention to my thoughts. I needed to forget it.
"Hey, Grace. I've decided Cory can stay, he's been a big help around here. He can sleep inside tonight, so if you want to let him know and help him settle in, that'd be great." I nodded, even though I would've really rather he ask someone else.
As Daryl led me inside, I passed my Mom, who was coming out to call everyone in for supper. This was my chance to avoid the awkward encounter with Cory. "Mom, Rick said he trusts Cory enough now. Help him settle in the living room tonight?"
"Of course! He's really a nice boy." I saw something flash in my mother's eyes. Almost like she'd looked at Daryl for a split second. Would she rather I got involved with Cory instead of Daryl? I couldn't do that. Daryl was my everything. Nobody could replace him, or what we had. I wanted to rip my hair out, why would my mother even think like that?
Daryl got us both food as I sat down at the dinner table. We both ate in silence, and I knew he was trying to search my face. Search it for any clue as to what my problem was. "I'll tell you downstairs." I breathed, not wanting anyone else to hear as they all filed in and out of the kitchen, grabbing their own food. Daryl seemed to be caught off guard by this information, but he just nodded in response.
We put our dishes in the sink, then disappeared downstairs. I pulled the paints and paint brushes out of my bag. I even showed Daryl the little wooden furniture and people I'd found. He seemed happy with them, which was good, since they'd been the only thing that would have worked anyways.
I started painting the outside of the house, framing the windows with white, and coloring the rest of the outside with yellow. "What's wrong, Grace?" Daryl finally asked, painting one of the rooms blue.
"Cory likes me, doesn't he?"
"I think he does." Daryl's face went from worried to straight within a second. "Why?"
"I feel bad. He didn't know we were together until today, I don't think. I crushed his heart out there." I frowned, trying to focus on my painting.
"Don't. He'll live. Besides, he can't have you. You're mine." I looked up at the smirk on Daryl's lip, a smile sneaking onto my own.
I chuckled, "Very true."
I grew tired easily, and as soon as I finished the outside and the kitchen, I was ready to go to bed. Daryl helped me up, and followed me upstairs and onto the main floor. I looked over the living room full of chatting people, seeing Cory and Carl talking in Sasha and Bob's old spot. Cory watched me as I turned to go upstairs, and Daryl follow.
"Bed so soon, you two?" Carol called, an eyebrow raised.
"Mhm." I smiled, giving her a joking wink.
"What have you guys been up to in that basement, anyways?" She asked as she walked up to us, lowering her voice.
"It's a surprise, almost done."
"Please don't let it be another baby, one is enough." Carol chuckled. I laughed at that, Daryl snorted.
"No! Far from it." I shook my head.
"Well, good night you two." Carol returned her voice to normal volume, and returned to her spot by Michonne. Daryl and I said good night to everyone else, then headed upstairs to our bedroom. I didn't look back, but I knew Cory was watching us the whole way.