Eleven: Fighting Until the End

I found myself in a clearing, deep within the forest. Sunlight spilled in overhead, illuminating the mossy grass. A single tree stood out among the others that lined the area, this tree was large with spread out branches, decaying wood planks nailed securely in place to form a small house. I slid off of Boot's back and patted his neck before walking up to the old rope ladder. I didn't expect it to hold, but it did as I climbed up it. I was several feet too tall for the tiny doorway, so I had to crawl inside on my hands and knees. A squirrel chattered before bolting out of the window and over a branch, disappearing in the leaves.
I looked along the walls, empty spider webs hung in the corners. Faded drawings stuck to the walls, and a tiny table with crushed and dusty crayons, tape, and paper. I sat cross-legged in the middle, reminiscing as I looked around the small room. It could've been an hour or two, or maybe only five minutes later when I heard the moans and groans below me. I cursed under my breath, looking down through the tiny doorway and seeing Boot just standing there. I quickly looked around, finding the Walkers just shuffling in through the other side of the clearing. I reached behind me and grabbed a crayon, which crumbled in my fist, but I still threw it at Boot. Startled, the horse ran off into the trees, what I could assume was the way home.
I pulled out my gun, checking to see how much ammo I had. Only four, and there had to be at least seven down there. I retracted back into the tree-house, checking my boot to make sure I still had my knife. There was a rattle as one of them knocked into the rope ladder. Their nails scratched against the tree below me, sending chills down my spine. I could possibly take them out, but now that they'd seen me, they weren't leaving any time soon.
"You can do this." I whispered to myself. I'd never had to take on more than a few at once. They were all bunched together, though, which would make it a bit easier. I peaked down once more, all of them reaching at the poor tree beneath me. I took a deep breath, latching myself to the ladder. If I did this right, I wouldn't have any problems.
I let myself slide down, hanging upside down, behind the Walkers. I pulled out my gun, lining up the perfect shot, and shot two in the head with one. The suppressed sound still attracted the other five, and I quickly emptied my gun taking down three. I readied my knife and grabbed one by the head, swinging forwards and jabbing him between the eyes. The sudden movement, however, proved too much for the ladder, and it broke, sending me to the ground. I curled up, trying not to hit my head, but I still felt the ground against the back of my neck. Winded and dizzy, the last Walker toppled onto me, and I had to fight to keep it from laying completely on top of me.
I wasn't sure what to do, I'd dropped my knife and gun. I couldn't afford to reach around for it, because this Walker was surprisingly heavy. I had him in prime positioning, holding him up by his wrists so he couldn't scratch or bite. I knew I couldn't lay there forever, Walkers never tire out. Besides, with all the noise, another was bound to come along and then I'd be done for. Struggling, I tried to push him off, but my body seared with pain, my head dizzy. I gasped for breath, relaxing slightly, then pushing the Walker back up and about a foot away from my face. I tried to keep my mouth closed, his mouth snapping straight above and slime dripping onto my chin. I didn't dare try and call for help, not wanting to risk the extra noise or getting any of his drool in my mouth.
Of course, you couldn't blame me for thinking that this was it. I was defenseless and faltering, my arms aching and heavy. My head seemed to be foggy, and I was fighting to keep my eyes open as well. The Walker seemed to inch closer, and I let out a gasp as I forced him back up. Images flashed in my head, my family, the group, Daryl. My last words to anyone were going to be what I'd said to Daryl, our little argument. I was going to die alone, out here, and they'd probably never even find my remains if this Walker didn't eat me whole.
Just as I felt myself giving in to the pain, a rustle sounded behind me. Of course, this is how I'd go, two Walkers. Defenseless and giving in. I turned my head to the side, wanting to see the other one. Instead, I saw a crossbow pointed downwards. An arrow slid through the Walker on top of me, and someone dragged him off and tossed him to the side. Daryl leaned over me, grabbing my face and turning it side to side. I blinked, trying to tell him I was indeed alive.
He leaned over and grabbed my gun and knife, checking the gun to find it empty. He stuffed the two into his belt before reaching back down to me. "C'mon." Daryl grunted, picking me up bridal style. He jogged through the trees, back the way we'd both come and Boot had disappeared down. With every bounce it felt like someone had hammered at my head, and I just willed it to go away. Darkness finally enveloped me, my head pressed against Daryl's shoulder.

"She's got a concussion, bruised pretty back on her spine. She'll live, though, she just needs rest." It was Carol's voice, coming from my left.
"Thank you." My mother's voice came from my right. There was a shuffling of feet, leaving me along with someone. They breathed softly, sitting in the chair next to me. I opened my eyes, trying to turn my head to look at them, but the searing pain returned. "Stay still." Mom whispered, leaning over me so I could see her face.
"What happened." I asked, wiping my eyes. I wanted to sit up, but couldn't risk the movement. My arms still felt heavy and sore.
"Daryl said you fainted while he was running back. It was quite a sight, him busting through the trees. All we saw was you riding off on Boot in a hurry, then some time later he came running back out alone while Daryl was checking up on the cattle. Rick saw him running into the trees, nobody knew what was going on." Mom stopped to laugh, running a finger down my cheek. "We all just stood there, wondering whether or not we should go in after him. That's when we noticed you weren't back yet. I wanted to go in, but your dad held me back, said Daryl had to go. About five minutes later he came running out, everyone had their weapons raised and pointed right at him. He didn't stop, just kept going towards the house. That's when he told us how he'd found you, tracked the Horse and found you fighting off a Walker, six other ones dead around you." Mom rubbed my shoulder as she wiped a tear away.
"Now, I don't know what is going on with you and that huntsman boy. I don't think I want to know." I rolled my eyes at this as she just smiled, sitting back in her chair. "But you better thank him for saving your life." With that she got up, kissed my forehead and left. I just laid there, staring up at the ceiling. I tried to think about what I was going to say to Daryl, but my brain hurt every time I tried to think of anything more than just a plain thank you. I gave up, knowing it was probably because of how I had hit my head, and there was no way to get around that.
I had no idea what time it was, I hardly did anymore. I could hear the clock next to my bed ticking, but I didn't have the power to look at it. That's when I realized I was in a bed, not my sleeping bag. I couldn't see much, but from what I could see, I was in the old play room. Where had the bed come from? It felt familiar, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. The more I tried to remember, the more my head hurt. I cursed under my breath and gave up once again at thinking, and just stared at the white ceiling.
Some time later, the door creaked open to my left. Forgetting about my injury, I turned to look and see who it was. It didn't hurt as much as I had expected, but I still moved my head back to looking at the ceiling, because the person who'd walked in was Daryl, and I didn't feel like facing him. He was carrying two plates, and my back already hurt at the thought of trying to sit up.
"Need some help?" Daryl set the plates down on the bedside table.
"No." I answered, but my stomach protested, letting out a grumble. I realized I'd only eaten breakfast and had skipped out on lunch.
"It's okay." Daryl said as he grabbed me by my under-arms and slowly pulled me up into a sitting position. The blanket slipped down, revealing I was only in my under garments. I raised my sore arms and pulled it back up, tucking it around me. Daryl's eyes lingered on my collarbone, and I knew exactly why. The bruise had been showing all day.
"What do you mean?" I asked as he set the plate of vegetables and steak in front of me.
"It's okay to ask for help." He said, sitting in the chair next to me and grabbing his own plate. My arms felt good enough that they weren't heavy anymore and I was happily able to eat by myself.
"I know." I sighed, chewing slowly on a green-bean. I knew I should be thanking him, but I still had no idea how. So, I decided to just tell him the truth. "I've been laying here, staring at the ceiling, just trying to come up with a way to thank you." I laughed, looking down at my plate. "But this stupid concussion won't let me think long enough to come up with anything. So, thank you for saving my life. Not just this time, but back at Terminus." I looked up to find him still staring at my collarbone.
"It was nothin'." He muttered, eating a piece of steak.
"Don't say that. If it weren't for you, I'd be as good as that steak to some Walker. You're acting like you saving me meant nothing, is that it? My life is worth nothing?" I asked, looking him square in the face. He looked up, his eyes still on the ugly bruise. "Why won't you look at me?" I pleaded, wishing I could cover myself up.
"If I..." He set his empty plate down, clearly angry. "That wouldn't have happened if I had been able to save you." He stood up, throwing his hands in rage.
"This," I pointed at the purple and blue bruise, "Has nothing to do with you! If it weren't for you, I'd have a lot more than just this, and I'd be in a much worse state than I am right now." I pointed out.
"But I could've done something. Like with the Governor, everyone would still be alive if I had just went looking for him. Hershel, all those people, Beth would be here, everyone would still be alive!" He was yelling now, and I set my plate on his and forced myself to stand up.
"I don't know what happened, but I believe that you tried. You tried, and you tried, and you tried. You did everything you could, and you may not think it was enough, but it was enough to save me, and countless others! So never doubt yourself." I breathed heavily, my head becoming dizzy once again. I reached forward, grabbing his arm as I felt my legs giving in. I fell backwards on the bed, bring him down with me. For a second it was just him on top of me, then all I could see was the Walker's jaws snapping at me. I whimpered, mumbling, before blacking out once more.