Twenty Five: Stormy Skies

I walked briskly across the yard and to the fence that enclosed the horses. I climbed over, then broke into a jog, aiming for Michonne and Rick who stood together by the treeline. Daryl was behind me, probably standing on the porch, itching to follow. However, he couldn't, a long walk like this and climbing a fence was no good for him. Besides, there wasn't anything he could do.
"When did you guys notice it?" I asked as soon as I came into decent ear shot. Michonne stared at the splintered wood, a dead walker was stuck in part of the broken fence, his head missing. A few others lay around, too.
Rick shook his head, rubbing his face. "It couldn't have been like this for long, I came outside since the rain had died down and let the horses out with Carl," he paused, looking back at the barn, "There was a racket so I came outside to look, not even fifteen minutes after I let them out, and the fence was down." It sounded like the walkers had been trying to get in at the horses, which had spooked them, and the horses jumped the fence.
"We can't send Daryl out to track them-" Michonne started, looking off behind me, probably at the man watching from the front door.
"I'll go look, it's fine. It is raining, so the grounds a bit muddy, can't be that hard to see where a couple of horses ran off." I shrugged, heading back towards the house. "While I'm gone, try and fix that up as best as you can for now!" I turned back, calling to Rick. He gave a wave, letting me carry on to the house. I grabbed my bow and arrows from my father, securing a knife and my glock at my waist, too. I grabbed a bag, and my mother handed me a couple of reigns to shove inside for when I found the horses. I even grabbed a bit of grain for them, just in case they were a still a bit scared.
Daryl stood on the porch the whole time, eying me as I went in and out, back and forth. Finally, I called for Mattie, wanting a bit of backup out in the forest. "You're going on your own?" Daryl asked, but before I could point out the dog, he shook his head. "You know what I mean."
"You can't come, my best bet is a dog who can smell. She can help me out if I get in a tough spot, too. I'll be back, hopefully, before the sun goes down. If I'm not, don't stress it, depending on how far the horses got, I might only find them by then." I squeezed his rock-hard bicep before turning to walk off in the direction of the horses. I slid my hood over my head, tucking my hair back. Mattie followed at my heels, her fur collecting the rain.
I passed by Rick, Michonne, and Tyreese who were dragging the dead out of the field. I just gave them a nod and continued, pushing back a branch and treading into the tall grass of the woods. The muddy dents in the ground signaled the horses heading off to the left, however I wanted to make sure none of them had veered off and into the trees.
The soft crunch of my feet against the ground were accompanied by Mattie's. I hadn't seen any sign of hoof prints in the forest yet, but could see the flurry of disturbed mud just on the other side of the trees. I stuck to my path until the hoof prints broke off of their straight line and went crazy. I stepped out from the cover of the trees, examining the pattern. They'd run into something, but miraculously stayed together, heading off into the trees now. An obvious path pounded into the underbrush.
I followed the path with Mattie, keeping a steady pace. The walk was slow and boring, and Mattie wasn't being much help, running across the tracks, making her own. I ignored her pleas to play, it was business time, something she hadn't had to experience for some time. It seemed like forever ago we'd been on the road together.
I tugged out my knife at a rustle, and Mattie stood still, ears alert. A grumble indicated a walker stumbling out from the right, and I quickly dug the knife deep into his skull, letting it slump against a tree. I looked it over, finding fresh blood on its hands and mouth. He'd recently eaten.
"For God's-" I cut myself off, hearing a soft whinny in the distance. I broke off in a run after Mattie, who tore towards the sound immediately. I broke branches in my wake, not being careful to be quiet.
The scene unfolded before us, Queen laying down pitifully beside two very close together trees. It looked as though she'd been trapped between them and the walker, leaving her no escape. She was bleeding out quickly, but suffering slowly at the same time. There were no signs of her friends, they'd been scared off, unaware that she'd been left behind.
I took out my gun with shaking hands, making sure the silencer was in place. I sniffled as I raised it towards the horses forehead. I let it fall, though, realizing I should pay my respects. Mattie was pacing, not sure what to do, distressed by the sight. I bent down, patting the horse between the eyes softly, thumping a hand on her neck. She whinnied more, it became more hoarse and sad by the second.
"Alright, alright." I wiped my eyes, which had started to water up. "G'night, darling." I stayed by her side, laying her large head in my lap, holding the gun softly to her head. I stroked her muzzle soothingly until I eventually pulled the trigger, unsure what else to do to make her feel a bit better in the moment.
I wanted to do something, bury her, anything but leave her as a meal. However, I had two other horses to find and hopefully save. I looked around, instead, remembering where we were. I got up off of the lightly damp ground, rubbing Queen's ear one last time before looking for the hoof prints of Boot and Thunder.
I pinpointed them after indicating which ones were coming and which were leaving, plus Matties smudged pacing. They'd gone in the direction Queen had been facing, which made my heart ache. It must've been so scary for her...
I wiped away the thoughts, now determined to find the two others alive and to keep them safe. I followed their tracks for what seemed like double the time it had taken to find Queen, which meant they'd been in twice the hurry. Hopefully there had only been the one walker after them.
I came into the fields of my neighbor, who I hadn't seen since last time I'd visited home, years ago. I didn't bother to go to the house, my father and I had checked it not long after I'd come home. They'd 'offed' themselves, suddenly, since my father said they had been communicating until one evening, when all went silent from their side. Their bodies weren't in the house any longer, since we'd given them a half decent burial.
Thunder and Boot stood, grazing behind a barn, covered from the wind and rain that was beginning to pick up. They didn't seem to notice Mattie or I yet, so I slowly advanced forward, not wanting them to run off anymore. I had to get a hold of them and set off for the house as quick as possible, the sun was dipping behind thick, dark clouds to the west, which were coming closer.
Mattie met them first, causing them to look up and notice me. I put some grain in each hand, offering it. They both ate it happily, grunting and huffing. I tugged my back from my side, grabbing the reigns and readying to put them on the two. I could easily ride Boot bareback, and Thunder could trail behind with my lead.
My plans were foiled, of course, as I heard an aweful sound come from the west. The clouds had rolled in at light speeds, the wind and rain picking up. Off in the distance, a grumble could be heard, an ominous boom. The noise was accompanied by a large flash, one that continued, off and on. A storm had come, and it was getting worse the longer I stood and stared at it.
Not only was Mattie growling at the sky, but the horses were starting to get restless. There was no way I could keep them still long enough to get the reigns on, or even get on Boots back. I wasn't going to be able to bring them back, but I couldn't leave them. I needed an alternative, and fast. Boot kicked the barn, causing me to notice it as if for the first time as viable shelter. I loosely tossed the ropes around their necks, needing to just lead the two horses for a second.
We came to the barn door, and I slide the door back with much difficulty. I led the horses inside, then turned and shut the door behind us and the dog. Darkness enveloped us, sending shivers down my spine. Everything was quiet. I pulled out my flashlight, flicking it on and shining it around, surprised at what I saw.