3 - Lunch Tables And Spilled Milk

Hey, New Kid.

Why don't you come over and sit with us at lunch?

I screw the note up and stuff it in my pocket, sitting down on the ledge surrounding an overgrown garden, next to Venice.

"Why are you sitting next to me? Nobody sits next to me. They're afraid I might give them rabies or something." She mumbles, taking a bag of corn chips out of her bag. The bag is very interesting, covered in badges and tattered and worn from many years being carelessly tossed on the ground, or being crammed full with books and folders.

"I mean, nobody even wants to hang out with me, full stop." She reasons, having no effect on me.

"I do," I try, "I like you." I say with a nervous smile, removing a ham roll from my own backpack.

"Yeah, but I don't like you." She says casually, as if the title has no meaning.

"Oh," is all I manage to say, a little taken a back, if not hurt, by her words. I resist the urge to slowly shuffle away from her, and sit by myself over the other side of the garden. I still stay, pretending as if I didn't hear her clearly state her dislike for me.

If I hadn't already thrown my social life out the window by sitting next to her at every possible opportunity, I might've gone over to the round picnic table to where some of the popular kids are sitting. Well, you can't really call them popular, like they're aren't made up of ultra-bitches or jocks with Justin Bieber hair.

They're just kids who were pretty enough, or flunked enough classes. It's not as if they bully every poor kid who doesn't sit with them, in fact, I've only seen them be mean to Venice. And it's not as if she's nice to them in the first place. But for the time being, it's either following Venice around like a lost puppy, or going all 'lone ranger'.

I say nothing, eating my sandwich in silence. Venice is the next to speak,

"Sorry," She whispers, braiding little sections of her red locks together.

"It's okay." I say after a deep breath. 

"It just seems all too good," she says simply, "but I don't really like getting attached to people, if you get me. Romance isn't my thing."

"Romance?" I ask, becoming a little confused.

"Yeah, romance. Seems a bit foreign to you, too." She inches over and rests her head on my shoulder.

"Oh it is."

"Well, I ain't here to teach you that's for sure." She says, looking up at me with a smile.

"Fine with me." I reply, heart beating a little faster than usual.

She giggles, mischievously, then snatches the carton of chocolate milk out of my grip. And in a flash, she removes the straw, holds it up above my head, and tips it upside down. A mixture of anger and betrayal bubbles up inside, even though it was merely a few seconds ago when she agreed to be friends with me. 

My dirty blond hair is now an unnatural pinkish brown, sticky and wet. She clutching her sides in laughter.

"Your-" She shrieks, pointing to my face, "Your...f-face is classic!" 

My mouth agape, cheeks tinted bright red. The milk is beginning to drip, down into my eyes, blurring my vision. That, and the tears that are welling up..

Without another word, I snatch my bag and rush off into the school building,  leaving behind a crowd of laughter.

Today's Song:

Applause by Lady Gaga

Today's Story:

A Is For Nerd  by @Tintedwings_ (External)