Chapter 4

Once outside we sit on the front steps. "So, your friends call you Gab... Like you talk too much?" I laugh I've heard that question at least a billion times before.

"No it's short for Gabriella" I say with a small giggle. He nods. He places a hand on me leg. I tense, unsure if I should allow his sudden action.

"That's a lovely name," he says with a smile. I relax a little and smile. This may have been more romantic if the muffled music wasn't pounding in my ears. Somehow, though, I managed to almost completely block out the noise and focus on Niall.

Our eyes lock as he leans closer. My heart races. 'He's going to kiss you!' I think. His eyes close as he moves closer. I slowly lean back towards the edge of the step I was sitting on. I can't help but wonder if he can hear my heart beating, because to me it blocks out the music. I take a deep breathe, trying to keep my breathe steady.

Just as I was about to give in and let him kiss me, my hands fly out from under me. 'What happened to the step!?! I think in a panic. I gasp as I fall backwards of the step. Before I hit the ground I see Niall's eyes fly open and he reaches for me.

I hit the ground with a loud thump. My feet had somehow remained on the steps while the rest of me laid on the cold grass. I hear Niall laughing and I open my eyes; I hadn't even realized I had them squeezed shut.

Niall manages to stop laughing enough to peer down at me. I silently curse myself for letting Jill make me wear this dress. He reaches a hand towards me. I smile and blush in embarrassment. I allow him to pull me back up onto the step. "You okay?" He asks

"yep," I whisper. I keep my head lowered until Niall gently tilts my head up to look at him. I felt so vulnerable around him. This feeling makes me uneasy and I gently push his hand away and lower my head once again. Without every looking I know he's frowning. "Sorry... It's just..." I struggle for words.

How was I suppose to tell him I'm afraid to love him... Or any boy, especially after the last break up. And call me crazy, but my heart actually seemed to hurt... Like it really was broken. "You can tell me," he whispers.

"How can I trust you... I just met you!" I say lifting my head. It suddenly occurred to me that he's technically still a stranger... Or at least, he was like someone who I barely knew. He doesn't seem upset with my outburst.

He simply smile and says, "I'll give you all of my heart... If you let me..." This grabs my attention. Would he really be willing to do that? "I promise," I struggle not to smile... But his words, "I promise." Make the smile disappear.

That's what the last boy said: "I promise we'll never break up." I stare into his eyes and slightly shake my head. "Don't go making promises you can't keep," I warn. His smile grows bigger and he takes my hands in his.

"This isn't just any promise... It's one that no matter what, it can't be broken. This promise is... Special."

I raise an eyebrow. "Just so you know... If you break my heart..." I lean closer, "my friends will break your face," for a moment I think that that was way to harsh. That is until he suddenly leans back laughing. I smile as he looks at me.

He suddenly seems a little serious as he says, "I won't break your heart, as long as you don't break mine." We both smile at each other. For some odd reason I was willing to trust him. But, I still had to keep my guard up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is this moving too fast? I'm sorry if it is! I'm still working on becoming a good writer so bear with me?