Chapter Twenty Two

Grace's POV

I've noticed that Shawn and I weren't as close as we usually would be.

I had grown closer with Jake after he apologized, and he ditched his old friend group. We hung out a lot more, but beside that, Shawn was growing closer with a girl.

She was probably the prettiest girl in our grade, I envied everything about her. I was happy for Shawn, but the situation made me feel something weird inside, almost as if I didn't want to be around Lauren at all.

At the lunch table, it was one of those few days where everyone was talking. Usually, Robbie and Morgan would be sucking each other's faces off, but we all talked.

"So Shawn, any special ladies in mind for the dance?" Morgan asked, taking a bite of her peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I chuckled to myself, I'd been thinking about the dance all day.

"Yeah, actually. Lauren Campbell, we recently started talking," Shawn says,smiling.

"That's a score, man, she's hot as-," Robbie stops himself, remembering Morgan was there, and she violently elbowed his side, "she's not hot," he mumbled.

"She's very pretty," I say, taking a drink of water.

"So what's your plan, Mendes?" Grace asks, wiggling her eyebrows.

"I, uh, wrote a song. I'm gonna sing to her, give her some flowers and chocolates. I'm nervous though," Shawn  spoke, his cheeks flushed and I could tell he was embarrassed and scared we would think it was lame.

But when I heard that, I wished he would've asked me instead of her. He was such a sweetheart, I knew that Lauren would have a good time with him at the dance. Even though I'll always wish he would've asked me before Jake did.

"Shawn that's so cute," Morgan gaped, "Why didn't you ask me like that babe?"

Robbie gasps sarcastically, "Excuse me missy, I'll let you know I'm a better singer than Shawn will ever be," he begins, and starts serenading Morgan.

His voice cracked, and it was extremely off key. "Okay we get it, shut the fuck up," I roll my eyes.

"I thought it was cute," Morgan giggles, and they begin sucking each other's faces off again. I groaned.

"You know, Gracie, someday we're  gonna get in a relationship with someone and they're going to regret being so PDA around us," Shawn says.

"Oh please," I laugh, "They're too busy with each other to notice what we do."

Lauren came up behind Shawn, tapping his shoulder. He turns, smiling when he sees her. "Hey Shawn," she chirps, kissing his cheek.

"Hey Laur," he says as she steals a chip from his bag.

"Can you still come over tonight?" She questions.

The more they talked and the more she looked at him like that, the more nauseous I felt.

"Yeah, how does six sound?"

Morgan noticed I looked uncomfortable, and started engaging me in a conversation. "Did you take the science test yet, I'm nervous."

"It's easy, you'll be fine," I speak.

When Lauren finally went away, I felt distant from Shawn. I frowned.

"I'm gonna ask her tonight," he says with a huge grin spread across his lips, and we all cheer for him, even though I'm not too happy for him.

When the bell rang, Shawn walked Lauren to her next class. I walked alone, until someone slung an arm around me. "Jake!" I exclaim.

"Hey, babe. Do you think you could come over tonight?" I thought I'd feel something when he called me that, but I felt not a single thing. Nothing at all, but I pretended I did.

"Sounds great, text me!"

We head our separate ways, and I wished it was Shawn I was going to hang out with. He made me happy, he made me feel something inside.

But for now, I had to be happy with Jake. Maybe he would grow on me, and we'd be really close, like what me and Shawn had.