Chapter 9

AN: And here’s chapter 9. I don’t know when the next chapter will be as I’m trying to finish writing “A Second Chance At Love” and “Guardian from Fire Island.” Again, thanks so much to everyone who commented/voted/liked this story. I really appreciate it!

And again, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Free feel to send me a PM.

And, once more, thanks to deathofblood for the inspiration. Seriously.>3<

-

Chapter 9:

“I don’t want to go to the hospital,” Akito said as he clung onto Raily, ignoring the way his arm and hand was beginning to throb in pain. He didn’t want to go to the hospital again. Not again. He just wanted to go home.

“There’s no need to go to the doctors,” Raily said as he led Akito into the grocery store as it was the only thing open, his arm around his shoulders, his gaze watching their surroundings sharply. “I’ll take care of the injuries.”

In a small country town like this, there was only one doctor and she was often called to the hospital at short notice. There used to be two, but he retired due to medical reasons.

Mr Burke immediately perked up when he saw he had customers, but his face soon creased into a look of concern when he saw how frazzled Akito was. He lowered his paper and frowned. “What happened?”

Akito found he was unable to verbally reply, so he was thankful when Raily gave him a short answer. “A run in with one of those punks. You sell first aid kits?”

“Y-yeah,” Mr Burke said in replied, slightly startled by the sense of authority in his voice. “Near the back. You want me to-?”

“I’ve got it,” Raily cut him off, keeping his arm around Akito’s shoulders as he led him off again. “I’ll pay for it later.”

Mr Burke still looked surprised, but managed to nod his head in agreement and turned back to his paper, but seemed to keep an eye on Raily nonetheless.

Raily reached the back of the store quickly, momentarily removing his arm from around Akito, who shivered from the loss of warmth, and snatched a first aid kit from the shelf. It was the largest of the variety and quite expensive, but that concerned him little when he ripped off the covering plastic and riffled through the contents. He pulled out some disinfectant, popped off the cap and carefully took Akito’s arm in his large, callous hand.

Akito was silent, wincing a few times from the disinfectant stinging against his broken skin, and simply watched as Raily worked on him.

“I’m sorry,” Akito said, unsure as to why he was really apologizing. For causing Raily trouble? Feeling as though he should have done more to push Jack off? It was just…his mind was so muddled, he couldn’t think straight.

Raily, however, brushed off his apology.

“Don’t worry about it,” he said as he carefully positioned the bandaged on Akito’s arm. “I used to work as an EMT. I know what I’m doing.”

An EMT? An Emergency Medical Technician? He had no idea!

Akito watched in silence as Raily attended to his scrapes and bruises with, indeed, an expert touch. Clearly, it wasn’t the first time he had patched someone up after a confrontation of some kind.

Raily...was so interesting.

“I’m sorry!” Mr Burke suddenly announced, startling Akito and Raily greatly. “But I need to close up shop right this second! My daughter has gone into labour. Can’t you believe it; I’m going to be a grandfather!”