Chapter 3

Chapter 3:

Akito was not at all looking forward to school today. After what happened last night, he really, really didn’t want to meet up with Jack and his gang again. Although, he must admit, he was somewhat curious as to how Jack was doing with his injury. Raily did shoot him in the leg, after all - not that he didn’t deserve it for trying to be a New York gangster.

Did he go to the hospital like any sane person would? Or was he bunkering down at home in hope of giving himself his own form of medical treatment?

Akito wasn’t sure which one he preferred. If Jack did go to the hospital, there would be a police inquiry as all medical professionals are obliged to inform the police whenever they treat someone with gunshot or knife wounds. It was the law.

But, then again, Jack and his crew were notorious for being troublemakers that the hospital might just ignore him, pretending they didn’t see anything. It wouldn’t surprise Akito all that much.

Still, he wouldn’t have to do this for much longer. He was already 17; he’d be finished with school soon. What he’s going to do after that, he wasn’t all that sure to be honest. His sister was preparing to go to university in the city, five hours away, so she would be moving there.

It will be odd not having her at home; their parents were always out working so they were rarely home. He and Seika had to take care of the house and themselves on their own.

“Akito!”

Moving from his musings, Akito paused in his trek through the dusty, drought barren field that was the shortest route from his house to school, his gaze immediately spying the form of a taller guy. He had red hair, slightly messy, the bangs somewhat long that they dance across brown eyes.

Akito immediately perked up. It was his friend, best friend actually, Joel. They had been friends since kindergarten and pretty much shared all their classes together.

The moment Joel reached him he threw a friendly arm around his shoulders, his brown eyes looking him over for a moment. He then made a loud noise that was a mixture of relief and annoyance.

“Man, I’ve been looking for you!” he exclaimed. “I tried to call you last night, but no one answered the phone.”

Akito thought he heard the phone ring last but he was too busy telling his sister, Seika, what happened to him when he was chased by the local group of mischievous punks and then saved by a blond-haired cowboy.

Seika was absolute enthralled by his tale, by the way. She was practically squealing and firing off as many questions as possible. Some of the questions, however, were difficult for him to answer (especially without blushing a shade darker than an overripe tomato).

“Sorry,” he said in an apologetic tone of voice, wincing slightly. He could only imagine how worried Joel would be. He’d have to make it up to him somehow.

“What the hell happened?” Joel asked as the two of them started walking toward their school again. “You don’t have a scratch on you.”

“That’s kinda a surprising story,” Akito replied with a small, somewhat embarrassed smile. “I was actually saved last night before they could get their hands on me.”

Joel literally reeled his head back in shock. “What?”

Akito nodded. “Yeah, you know Raily?”

“The recluse?” Joel asked, his brow furrowed in a look that was of both concern and somewhat protective.

“He’s not that bad,” Akito immediately interjected. “He’s quite nice.”

And a really good kisser, but he wasn’t going to say that out loud, least he give those intolerant punks of this town another brainless reason to try and beat his ass.

Joel however, didn’t look all that convinced. “Seriously? I heard some weird stuff about that guy.”

He had heard those rumours as well. Seriously though, an ex-FBI agent hiding out in seclusion after a mission had gone wrong? Everyone in this town must be fans of those romance books Seika gushes over.

“Small town gossip, I’m sure,” Akito replied with a one shoulder shrug.

“Hey!” A male voice suddenly called out – loud and irritated.

Akito and Joel stopped in their tracks and turned to look behind them, both of them slightly curious as to who this new voice was calling out to. But soon, a sense of dread fell over Akito when he recognised the group of about five teenagers as they stomp over to them with a great sense of purpose.

Shit, it was the rest of Jack’s crew, the very ones that had chased him literally out of town, had him cornered him and tried to pummel him last night. And they were approaching him in a fast pace, looking determined and ready for action. They also look threatening...

However, as they drew closer, Akito noted that Jack wasn’t with them. He must be hiding out at home to attempt to mend his own wounds, his pride included.

They’re here for revenge, Akito winced and hunched his shoulders as Joel stood in front of him, putting himself in-between Akito and the gang of thugs. Joel was stronger than him, but surely he couldn’t handle five guys at once.

Akito could only hope they were here just to yell and threaten him, but not resorting to any physical damage.