Chapter 5

AN: Finally, the next chapter. Extremely sorry about the wait. Also, I have about two or three chapters left before I run out of pre-written chapters. And, unfortunately, I am suffering from a severe case of writer’s block with this story. However, I am seriously considering starting another story about shape-shifters. As soon as I have done writing “Guardian of Fire Island.” I have that story about done, so it’s all I am concentrating on at the moment.

Also, on another note, I have noticed a few fanfics floating around and am considering uploading my own fanfics. I wanted to keep my original and fan stories separated, but it got me thinking.

Anyway, I hope you’ll enjoy this chapter. And let me know what you think about the Shape-shifters and fanfics. Thanks so much~ <3

-

Chapter 5:

A few hours after the confrontation, Akito found himself recuperating in the hospital, that plastic smelling oxygen mask over his mouth and nose. It, unfortunately, wasn’t all that uncommon for him to find himself in the hospital, staring up at the cracked white ceiling, Seika and Joel hovering on either side of his bed talking to him.

However, as the events leading up to his admission into hospital returned to him, Akito was slightly surprised, but both pleased and embarrassed at the same time, to note that Raily was waiting in his room as well. He was leaning up against the window sill of the open window, his arms folded across his chest, his sharp eyes gazing easily at him.

“Akito?” His sister, Seika, asked softly, her blue eyes staring down at him in concern.

“Hey, how are you feeling?” Joel asked with a strained smile on his face.

Lifting his hand, Akito grabbed at the oxygen mask and pulled it down to below his chin, giving his sister and friend a small, but tired smile. “I’m ok, just a little tired. What happened?”

“Raily brought you here in his truck,” Joel explained for him, momentarily turning to give Raily an appreciative look before turning back to him. “You almost stopped breathing due to the stress on your lungs.”

“What about-?”

“Who knows,” Seika interrupted with a scowl on her face. “Those bastards deserve to have their heads punched in.”

“Sorry I wasn’t much help...” Joel uttered with his expression downcast and guilty.

Akito manages to find the strength to push himself into a sitting position, slipping the elastic strap of the oxygen mask over his head, removing it completely.

“It wasn’t your fault,” Akito said to Joel, reaching out to grasp at his arm. “Sorry I had to drag you into it.”

“This isn’t right!” Joel suddenly exclaimed, his brown eyes flashing with anger. “They can’t just keep running amuck like they are!”

“They’re just little punks,” Raily said, speaking for the first time since Akito had awoken. “You’ll have to scare the living shit out of them before they will actually learn anything. And then, there’s no guarantee, so don’t bother thinking you can talk some sense into them – especially by yourself.”

Joel looked dejected. “Yeah, but-”

“Let’s go, Joel,” Seika suddenly suggested, walking around from the bed to snare Joel by the arm, practically dragging him toward the door. “Akito needs his rest.”

“Wait-a-minute!” Joel protested. “Why do I have to leave?”

Seika snapped around to give Joel a rather...dangerous grin. “Because I’m sure Akito would want to thank his saviour in private.”