Chapter 26

The time had finally come for Hannah to graduate and leave the Hope to Heal rehab center. It was amazing to her that so much had happened in her life in the last 3 years and just how much had changed. If anyone had told her that she would be with a different man then her husband, in rehab, and battling a disease when she graduated from SMU, she would have told the person to go on some medication to deal with their hallucinations. Yet here she was. And the center was holding a small ceremony for them with family and/or friends present as the patients were getting special certificates as well as coins to commemorate their accomplishments.

    A number of the patients were moving to sober living facilities upon graduating including Caddie and John. Hannah meanwhile, was going to go back to Allen's place. It was quite obvious to anyone who knew her no matter how long—be it years or only those few short months—that she would be one of the single digit percentile addicts that would never touch meth again or try any other illegal drug for that matter. It was just something people felt. Caddie mentioned it in their final group session that Hannah was just not a lifetime user and wasn't the falling off the wagon type. She had too much to lose given her illness.

    The day of the ceremony dawned clear and sunny; it was very warm outside which was normal for the first week of December in Fort Worth, Texas. Everyone was very anxious but in a good way as well as excited. Family and friends arrived on time. The patients were happy that soon they would be called people again and not patients. They dressed up a bit to make it extra special. Hannah and Caddie were beaming from ear to ear. The Mother Superior had come along with Allen; that's all that Hannah needed just like at Thanksgiving. For the first time in 3 years, Hannah asked to have pictures of her taken so Allen brought his old camera. It was an old manual camera with a large paparazzi-like lens and it reminded him of his college days.

    Hannah hadn't had taken a photo of herself in years but she felt that this was the first step in the right direction within her new life. The ceremony was very poignant. After which, the patients were officially discharged into the care of family members or different facilities. Caddie and Hannah hugged and swore they'd stay in touch. They'd been through too much together to let go of each other now. Caddie and John were going to the same sober living facility.

    A few days prior to attending the ceremony, Allen had stopped by St. Bernadette's to get the directions to Sister Grace's graveside from the Mother Superior. He sat waiting for her in her office and when she walked in, Allen stood up politely and they shook hands. By this time they were old friends.

"How are you doing, Allen?" She asked him; she hadn't called him Agent Roberts in a while.

"I'm doing fine, Mother. I am very excited that Hannah is getting discharged. She will be so happy to finally see where Sister Grace is." The Mother Superior smiled and as Allen looked on with interest, opened what appeared to be a secret location and took out a small velvet black box; which she then extended to Allen.

"I think that when you go to the cemetery, you should give Hannah this. It's time."

    When Allen took a look at what was inside the box, he gasped. The Mother Superior explained what it was and what it meant. Allen shook his head.

"I can't give this to her. This is something that would mean more if you gave it to her. You should come with us after she gets discharged and we'll go straight to the cemetery." The Mother Superior thought about it and nodded in agreement; it made sense.

"You're right, Allen. I think I can explain it better. We'll take two cars and go straight there. You can follow my car to get to the cemetery."

    So that is exactly what they ended up doing. After the discharge, the Mother Superior said they were going to visit Sister Grace's resting place. Hannah was excited and yet nervous. They piled into two cars and took off back towards Dallas to the Calvary Hill Cemetery. It took them about an hour to get there due to traffic and such. They entered the gated community of the deceased and parked near the section reserved for St. Bernadette's nuns. On the way there, they stopped at a store and Hannah picked up a large bouquet of flowers along with a vase.

    Walking to where Sister Grace's grave was, Hannah noticed that she was buried beneath a willow tree. It was peaceful and quiet save for a few birds chirping. It seemed like the ideal place for Sister Grace to rest in peace. As they approached the tombstone, the Mother Superior looked around and quickly cleaned off the few stray leaves that were clinging to the tombstone. Hannah than placed the vase at the base and poured water into it from a water bottle she had with her and then arranged the flowers beautifully. The others then gave her, her time with the only real mother she had known since she was 5 years old.

"Hello Sister Grace. I don't even know where to begin. I know you have probably seen everything from heaven. I hope you aren't too disappointed in me. I really did try but somewhere I just gave up. But I promise I am trying really hard now. I am done with rehab and I will never do it again. I wanted to thank you for sending me that miracle to reverse the M.E. I know it was you and no one else.

"You mean so much to me, I can't even put it into the words how much it hurt me when I found out you were gone and I wasn't there to say goodbye. It still tears my heart out. I hope this can be our goodbye and hello all at the same time. Someday I hope to see you again; just not yet. I'm sure you also sent Allen to me. He's the complete opposite of Chris. I think if you met him in person, you'd really like him. I love him, Sister Grace, I really do. You'd love him too. Perhaps you already do.

"I don't know what the future holds for me but I think that I have hit rock bottom and there isn't any other place to go from here but up. Thank you for instilling within me the difference between right and wrong and to help others no matter what. I love you so much."

    At that point, the Mother Superior returned back to the graveside once they saw Hannah get up off of her knees and place a kiss on the tombstone. With a nod from Allen, she produced the velvet box from her habit pocket. Hannah watched her carefully as she smiled and began to speak.

"I have been keeping this for you for a while now. I feel that this is the best time to give it to you."

She then handed the velvet box to Hannah who took it with shaking hands and opened it slowly. As she peered at what was inside the box, her eyes grew as wide as saucers and she gasped. Inside in pristine condition, was Sister Grace's cross necklace; the one she wore around her neck for decades. Tears gathered in her eyes as she picked up the cross and stared at it with trembling hands.

"Sister Grace wanted you to have it. In fact her last words before she passed were 'Give my cross to Hannah when...' she died before she finished the sentence but I have since realized that what she meant to say was 'Give my cross to Hannah when she is ready'. And I feel that you are now ready to receive it and move forward in this new chapter in your life with confidence knowing she is always with you, my child."

    Tears rolled down Hannah's cheeks as she listened to the last message from her beloved Sister Grace. She was shaking from head to foot; it was a very powerful sign that was given to her right then and there. The Mother Superior felt that Hannah was ready to receive the precious gift; an heirloom of sorts now that she was in such a new and different place in her life.

    Allen then took the cross from Hannah's hands and placed the necklace around her neck as she closed her eyes and they all felt a strong breeze blow around them. The heavenly beings approved. When she finally opened her eyes, the determination on her face was evident; more than it has ever been in her life. She clasped the necklace to her chest knowing she would never take it off. They spent a little bit more time there in this peaceful of places and then headed toward their respective cars.

    As they got in to drive away, a ghostly figure in a habit stood watching from behind the willow tree with a peaceful smile on her face.