Chapter 13

After returning from the bank, Hannah went for a walk around the block to make sure she understood what she was doing. Once she was 100% satisfied with her decision, she walked into the warehouse, and went to find Randall. He was pacing the 3rd floor rubbing his hand through his hair and obviously looking lost. She walked up to him and without saying a word, extended her hand with the envelope in it. Randall looked at her with his eyebrows raised. He took the envelope and looked inside. He knew without even counting it that it was the amount of money that he was short giving the thugs.

"Why ya givin this to me, doll face?" He looked at her inquisitively.

"You're short on cash, aren't you?" Hannah asked without batting an eyelash.

"Yeah but I said I got it. Ya don't have to worry about nothin."

"Well this is taking care of it. Go on, take it." She said. He did and then looked at her with confusion.

"Ya still haven't told me why ya givin this to me."

"Because it's the right thing to do." She said then and walked away.

    Randall stared out the window and absentmindedly counted the cash in the envelope. It was all there; $1500 that he owed the boss. Those punks had no idea who he was but he couldn't upset the boss; that's the only way he was getting his drugs to his clientele. He then knew what he had to do. He went to find Hannah; she was downstairs sitting on her cot putting some things together on her way out. She looked up at him as he came up to her. He knelt down and whispered in her ear that he wouldn't charge her a penny ever again for her ice.

    Hannah though surprised, somehow knew he was telling the truth. For everything morally repugnant about him, he was a man of his word to those that he needed to be. He couldn't afford to be anything else especially in the world he lived in. One wrong lie could be a bullet in the brain. And considering who his boss was; the dude wouldn't give it a second thought. Even someone as high on the proverbial totem pole as Randall was expandable. In the corner, Shanel watched the entire exchange and wasn't pleased. She never liked competition for Randall's attention; even if that person was Hannah.

    After their conversation, Randall went upstairs and Hannah went to run some errands. It had been more than 3 days since she had done her bloodwork and Randall had gotten an extension from the boss to get the money so his brains were still intact 12 hours after the initial deadline. The boss knew he was good for it and told his thugs to back off and give Randall his space; he'd never been late before so if he needed an extension, the boss was willing to give it to him.....this time. Maybe because it was someone's birthday in the boss's family that he was feeling generous because usually, anyone who wouldn't pay up wouldn't usually be found alive again.

    Hannah boarded the city bus and took it downtown to her doctor's office where her blood work was ready. Dr. Weller sat down with her and told her that everything was fine and that she tested negative for every STD as well as HIV. She breathed a sigh of relief. Dr. Weller didn't tell her that she had tested her for drugs and found the meth in her system. She was very disappointed that Hannah was taking that route and off handily mentioned for Hannah to go to rehab but the latter wasn't interested and waved the doctor off.

    After exiting the office, Hannah went to the nearest Zales store where she had the receipt for the mysterious necklace that Chris had purchased during the holidays. Chris made the mistake of using his debit card instead of his credit card to buy the necklace. Hannah had paid the bills before so he had thought he was safe but he did forget the fact that they shared a bank account and because of that, Hannah was able to see exactly what kind of piece Chris bought. It was a simple white gold chain with a round diamond on it. Because Zales was having a sale on that particular necklace, they had pictures people could take home with them and Hannah took one; she had a feeling she'd need it for later.