Chapter 8

Everyone stood stock still as Hannah walked in at the most inopportune moment. She looked from her husband to each of her parents in law in confusion. This was not the way they wanted her to find out but now they had no choice. Courtney looked at Ralph and took a deep breath as she put her arm around Hannah's shoulders and guided her to the couch. When they both sat down, Courtney looked Hannah deep into her eyes and said probably the hardest news she ever had to deliver to anyone before.

"Hannah, Sister Grace is gone." There was a beat of silence and then:

"What do you mean she's gone?" Hannah asked not comprehending what was being told to her.

"She collapsed at St. Bernadette's a week ago and was rushed to the hospital. The doctors diagnosed her with congenital heart failure and she passed on less than 48 hours later with the Mother Superior at her side. The funeral was 2 days ago. They had tried reaching you as soon as Sister Grace was rushed to the hospital but your phone was dead and well they reached us instead. But unfortunately, we found out too late to attend the funeral. I'm so sorry sweetheart. We didn't want you to find out this way."

The silence was deafening as Hannah took all of the news in and it hit her like Thor's hammer. She let out a whimper and then a howl like that of a wounded animal. It made everyone in the room shudder. The tears were coming out now like rivers during a flood. She was sobbing and shaking so hard, they were afraid she would collapse. She looked around wildly as Chris tried to put his arms around her. But suddenly she stopped and looked at him with panic and determination, he had never seen before.

"M-my phone was dead....b-but what about your phone Chris? Or the house phone? Did you get messages from Mother Superior? Did you?" She pushed him to answer. He felt totally miserable as he answered.

"Y-yes. I got the messages but I have been busy with work and every time I wanted to tell you, you weren't home. I didn't find out right away either, Hannah. I swear." She all but gapped at him; he was actually trying to blame it on her.

"You knew and did nothing??? If you worked all this time when I wasn't home, you could have left a huge letter for me to see! I have come home just not when you've been around! This woman was the only mother I have ever known and you are coming up with excuses??? Like it was my fault??? What if it was your parents??? I would have looked all over the world for you in order to tell you!!! How could you??? Oh my God!!!"

She shrieked as she felt her will power and hope shatter. Sister Grace was gone, her only remaining family. Hannah whirled around still crying hysterically and suddenly started feeling the effects of the withdrawal on top of everything else. No, she couldn't stay here, couldn't look at Chris or his parents. After all, they were his parents not hers even though they had always treated her like a daughter, it just wasn't the same. They were both crying as they watched her completely break apart. She finally grabbed her purse, keys, and bolted out of the house. She didn't even bother closing the door as she ran toward her car. She tripped once before reaching the car, nearly going down but she stabilized herself.

"Hannah! Hannah!" Ralph called after her but she had jumped into her car by then, turned on the ignition, and peeled away from the house. They could hear her wailing above the car engines. It was an unmitigated disaster.

Chris sat down on the couch and put his face in his hands and rocked back and forth. He knew he messed up but he was in his own brand of denial because all he could think of was how fast could his parents leave so he could call Scarlett and let her make him feel better. Deep down where he wasn't thinking with his boner but with whatever was left of his heart, he knew that he should be more caring and help his family but it was just way easier to hide in the hot and smoldering embrace of his lover. She pushed his buttons like no had before and he doubted anyone would ever again; he couldn't bare to lose that lifeline at that moment. His parents meanwhile, left shortly after that completely distraught and hoping that Hannah would come home soon and she and Chris would be able to work things out. He had gotten his wish.