Chapter 23: Pop! Goes the Weasel

Start from the beginning

"Where the fuck did you go, cupcake?" Blake mutters on his way past the table.

Rylan's heart pounds and adrenaline courses through her, managing to block out most of her fear.

Rylan glances over the edge of the table again and comes face to torso with Mr. Quinn. Her eyes travel up to his face. His eyes are narrowed curiously and he quirks an eyebrow.

"Miss Winchester, what are you doing hiding behind the punch table?"

Rylan slowly stands. Her cheeks flame in embarrassment and she frowns.

She lies. "I'm not hiding! I dropped an earring."

Mr. Quinn nods in a way that suggests he doesn't believe her. Rylan points to her earlobe.

"Oh, look, I found it." She exclaims sharply. "I suppose it's just a coincidence that you're here."

"I decided to chaperone." He replies, delicately avoiding her question. "Enjoy your evening." Mr. Quinn tips his cup to her.

"You too." Rylan says, not actually meaning it.

She walks toward the door and glances back every now and then to see Mr. Quinn's location. Rylan screeches when she bumps into someone's chest and stumbles backward.

"Rylan, it's me." Cas says.

Rylan calms down. "You scared the crap out of me." She complains.

"What's going on?"

"I'm just on edge."

Tuck joins the two a moment later.

"Have either of you seen Dani? She was supposed to meet me outside a few minutes ago."

Cas shrugs and shakes his head.

"I haven't seen her yet." Rylan adds. "Are you sure she isn't here?"

"I'm sure." Tuck maintains.

Something pricks worriedly in the back of Rylan's mind.

"Blake said something earlier."

"What? What did he say?"

Rylan doesn't want to believe that Blake did something. There's still time for Dani to show up.

"I'm sure she's fine."

"Rylan." Tuck warns.

"He thinks we're up to something."

"That doesn't mean he did anything." Cas points out.

"There you are." Blake says and slides his arm around Rylan's waist and traps her again. "I see you found your friends." He sounds angry.

Tuck eyes Blake. "Where are your goons? You hardly ever go anywhere without them."

"They're hardly appropriate to bring along on a date—don't you think?" Blake remarks snidely.

"What about you? Have you seen Dani?"

"I haven't."

"Why should we believe you?"

"I don't really give a fuck if you believe me, Tucker. I've had enough of your bullshit."

Tuck lunges forward to attack Blake. "Where is she, you son of a bitch! You know something!"

Rylan backs out of the way and Cas grabs Tuck's jacket to pull him off Blake.

"Tuck! Calm down!" Cas yells.

Tuck struggles against Cas's hold. "Get off me!"

"You better get your boyfriend in line pretty boy!" Blake warns.