Chapter Four - Godric Gryffindor

The hall sat in silence, staring at the diary, when suddenly someone at the Ravenclaw table spoke out, "Rowena seemed lovely." It was a light, and airy voice -one that holds no worries. Everyone was silent after that, and they turned to the Sorting Hat as it let out a mumble.

"What was that?" McGonagall asked the animate object.

"I believe founder of Gryffindor house is next," the hat said with happiness in his voice.

McGonagall gives the house an annoyed look, but nods at Dumbledore, who flips to the next entry:

"Dear Dairy,
Today is the 25th day of August, and I'm going to introduce you to the fourth founder of Hogwarts, and sole founder of the Gryffindor House, Godric Gryffindor himself."

The usual wisp flew out of the diary and made it's place in front of the teachers table. When the image appears, the students, and teachers see a tall, buff man with long redish-brown hair, and a slight beard and mustache.

He was standing in what is now the courtyard, jabbing and slicing at air with the infamous Gryffindor sword.

"Godric!" Margarette's voice shouts from behind the image, "I think you've gone mad. You're fighting an invisible enemy. Do they have a name?" But before Godric can answer, Margarette speaks again, "I'll call these invisible enemies..........Nargles."

Godric puts down the sword, and glances toward the image, "Ever the humorous one, Margarette."

"Well I have to be," she says, "Salazar's got a silvertongue, Rowena's always serious, Helga's too worried she'll insult someone, and you'd rather stab someone than make a joke."

"That is not true," Godric sheathed his sword, and faced the image fully, "I can make jokes."

The image stepped forward, getting closer to Godric, "Say a joke."

"What do you call a sleeping dinosaur?" Godric asks with a smile and answers the question, "A dino-snore!"

"My god," Margarette let out a chuckle, "That's so terrible it's funny."

"Exactly," he winks, "Now, Lady Malachite, I challenge you to a duel." He holds up the Gryffindor sword, which is quickly knocked away by another sword.

"Lord Gryffindor," she says, "I accept."

The image dies away and turns back into a wisp, which re-enters the diary. Just as the wisp returns, Margarette's voice fills the space.

"The Gryffindor House is the home of the brave, daring, and chivalrous -just like him. Godric, like everyone else here, is like an older sibling to me. Of course we aren't blood relatives, but we have a close relationship.

According to them, I'm the glue that holds them together. I suppose that's partly true, for I'm able to keep Godric and Sal from slaughtering each other. But, you know.

Godric is truely like his house. Courageous, daring, and always willing to take on a challenge. He's respectful to everyone -most of the time, anyways- and like Helga is very loyal to his friends. Godric is wonderful swordsman, and was thoughtful enough to teach me.

I bet I could beat him now.

But just remember, children, reader, whoever is reading my diary (weirdos), that bravery isn't really the absence if fear. I cannot fathom the amount of times Godric has told me he was afraid of something, or afraid to do something.

But, bravery, courage, whatever you want to call it, is not the absence of fear, but having a fear, no matter how big or small, and being able to get around it.

Sincerely,
Margarette Malachite"

The hall was once again silent as the Gryffindor table thought about what Margarette said about bravery. Especially Neville Longbottom, a third year who was slowly working around his fears. A bright smile made it's way into his face as Dumbledore turned to the next entry.