Twenty-Eight: April Fool's Day, Part One

Dedicated to anjalijayanty HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

~*~

One week. I closed myself off from anything and anyone related in any way to Barry, including Wells. He understood so he gave me the time.

A week after the small altercation with Barry (while Joe stood by awkwardly) I find Layla sobbing over her cheesecake and gripping her phone tightly.

"What's wrong, Layla?"

"I can't believe I just heard about this now. Have I been living under a rock or something?"

"You did submit your work and declare to take three weeks off at work so you might've been," I reason out.

"Oh yeah, huh. But still. I just heard.." she falls off her chair and shrinks into a ball on the floor. I try to go over to her but she pushes me away. "No, no no no. I'm fine. Let me stay in my little ball of sadness."

"Why? What happened?"

"It's the worst news I've ever heard." She looks up. Her face is red, her eyes are puffy, and wet blond hair is sticking to her face. "Mason disappeared. Our coworker. Our friend."

Friend. I almost laugh at the word. "So?" I say bitterly.

"I never told you because at first I was embarrassed but when we got to know him more, I became less ashamed," she sniffles. She swallows. "Mason is my brother. I wish I'd told you."

"How much older?"

"Definitely more than 7 years but I don't know for sure. I didn't exactly grow up close with him. My parents are divorced. They split us up. But he and I were embarrassed to be siblings so we said nothing about it."

"No way."

"I wish I'd spend more time with him. Ugh. I'm so sorry for crying on your birthday."

"You mean Bruce's moving out day?"

"No, it's your special day. Not his. We should go out." She wipes her nose and stands up.

"Maybe we could go to the office party for April Fool's?" I suggest. Mason had invited me. I'm already feeling guilty as it is.

"Good idea."

She grabs her purse and the keys. We both walk out the door and she unlocks the car.

After a couple minutes of driving and finding a parking space, we walk in. The place is empty and dark until-

"SURPRISE!"

I take a few steps back. "What the hell-"

Most people are smiling while a few are holding back tears.

"Is this April Fool's?"

"Yeah, but actually Mason arranged this. He knew it was your birthday and did all of it. The diversion which was Layla... Well kind of. She looks a little distraught still, then the setup and everything," Larkin explains.

I fight the tears at bay and grin. "I can't believe it."

"He arranged this for you. The last thing he told me yesterday was to make sure your birthday party went off without a hitch," Layla smiles, still looking and sounding broken-hearted.

I squeeze her arm. "I'm so sorry about Mason."

"Well, we'll celebrate in his honor. Happy April Fool's, everyone," Linda says, and it's not cold like her usual tone. "Happy birthday, Evelyn."