Seventeen: "Issues"

First Present Reality:

"I'm very bad when it comes to any form of exercise, and bowling is no exception," I tell Barry while walking into the bowling alley.

"You took fencing and that counts," he points out. "Well alright, at least that means I can completely destroy you at bowling."

"Whatever you say, Allen."

"Hi, guys!" a familiar voice calls out. We both look away from each other and see Iris with Eddie already with a lane taken.

"Iris, Eddie, hey!"

"What are you guys doing here?" I ask a little bit harshly.

"We thought it would be fun. Barry and I have been bowling here since we were kids. Why don't you guys join us?" Iris offers with her sweet and convincing smile.

"Well..." Barry glances at me.

"We don't want to interrupt your date," Eddie says to assure us.

"No, it's okay. It'll be fun," I grin. And I hope it sounded like I meant it.

Three rounds in and Iris gets a spare. "Haha! Do you smell that, Barry? That's defeat."

"Now I know where you learned your sass, Barry," I mutter under my breath.

"You never told me you were such a big fan of bowling," Eddie says in somewhat an astonished tone.

"Sure I have. This is one of my favorite places in the world," Iris winks and plasters on her charming smile in my direction before taking a seat.

Good for you, Iris.

Barry lands a strike, which is something I've never managed to accomplish in my lifetime.

"Good one, Allen," I hold up a plate of fries and ketchup.

"I heard the owner's selling. Maybe you could rent a piece on the place."

"I'm still iffy on whether bowling is an actual sport."

He grabs a fry and dips into his ketchup while Eddie says, "I've wondered the same."

"Well, sport or hobby, I am still better than you," Iris enters and rubs off the sauce from Barry's face.

Eddie stares straight at me at the same time I look at him. I know we're nothing thinking the same thing: what?

It's his turn, which helps distract me from thinking too much about Iris and Barry and focus on Eddie.

He manages a weak score of six, which is sadly still better than me.

"Okay, Barry, can you please help me on this round? I can't hit a pin to save my life. I think I need bumpers or something."

"Nah, you don't need bumpers. I can help you. First, grab the bowling ball- were you seriously holding it like that?"

"I'm sorry! I don't know how the hell I managed to get an eight on my first turn."

Barry guides me, sliding his arm in the same motion as mine to pull back and let go of the ball.

"Oh Jesus! It's veering off to the side!"

"Don't worry, just get another ball. Here, use a ten pound instead."

"Evie, you got four for the first part!" Eddie says. He points at the screen.

"Yes! Okay Barry, help."

He does the same hand motion one more time. This time his left hand is on my waist and his head is leaning over my shoulder from behind me while he guides me with the right arm.