Chapter 22: The Monkey Chased the Weasel

Comenzar desde el principio

Rylan stares defiantly into Blake's eyes, but decides not to repeat what she said.

"I have to get to class."

"That's what I thought."

"Stay the fuck away from her!" Cas growls as he rams into Blake.

The two stumble back a few steps before Blake gets his footing and shoves Cas away from him. Cas glares wildly at him and Blake sneers back.

"Relax, pretty boy, our conversation is over." Blake tilts toward Cas and says with quiet caution, "Touch me again, and I'll kill you."

Rylan watches helplessly as he walks away. She hates him, but he's right. She can't see a way out of this anymore. Cas immediately shifts his attention to Rylan.

"Are you alright?"

"Fine." Rylan mumbles.

"What did he say to you?"

Rylan closes her eyes. "Nothing."

"Rylan, I know when you're lying to me."

"I can't talk about this now."

Rylan tries to leave, but Cas steps in her way. A few tears streak down her cheeks.

"What did he say, Rylan?" Cas persists.

"I'm going to the Valentine's Day Dance with Blake tomorrow night." Rylan replies.

Cas takes a sharp breath. "That's not what I asked."

She can't answer his question, so Rylan just continues explaining why.

"He came to my house last night and it was either accept his offer or tell my dad what he did to me. I couldn't do it; I can't. I can't put him through another failed attempt at justice."

"My God, Rylan. What am I going to do with you?" Cas says, exasperated.

"What was I supposed to do?"

Cas looks stupidly at her. "You were supposed to say no and slam the door in his face. Hell, telling your dad would be better than having to accept an offer from Blake—for anything!"

"You weren't there, Cas."

"You don't have to go with him, Rylan. You don't." Cas urges.

"I don't have a choice, Cas. You think you know Blake, but you don't."

Cas is silent for a moment, then he says, "He said something to you, didn't he? What did he say?"

Rylan shakes her head.

"I've waited too long. It's my word against his just like with Mr. Quinn and there's no doubt he'll deny it." Rylan cries. "I have no evidence because I made you get rid of it. No one did a thing about Mr. Quinn and he tried to murder me! They aren't going to do shit about Blake!"

The second bell rings and Rylan bites her lip, trying to compose herself. Cas stares at her with an anguished expression on his face.

"I didn't throw out your clothes, Rylan."

"What? But you said--"

"I said I'd take care of them. You never asked me to get rid of them. I wanted to keep your options open in case you changed your mind about talking to the police."

"So, you mean... "

"If you want to turn him in, we still can."

Rylan closes her eyes and shakes her head. "Do you think it will actually work?"