-Chapter Twenty-One-

Start from the beginning

Both she and Matt are smiling at me in the most knowing of ways.

"What?" I shift slightly, offering an innocent smile. "Why are you two looking at me like that? Huh?"

Matt laughs softly. "You're just a funny kid," he offers in excuse. "Very in love."

"Don't worry," Elena assures me. "It's cute. Very absolutely precious."

Piper squeals, bouncing in her mother's arms.

"Pipes is right." Matt grins at me.

I roll my eyes, laughing just enough to get across that their talking doesn't upset me.

El smiles, taking another sip of her coffee. "Young love." She winks at me.

I close my eyes, ducking my head to rub the bridge of my nose with my left hand. The softer hand.

Matt pats me on the back. "Calm down, bro. Teasing won't hurt you. The point is, it's cute."

I look up and shake my head with a laughing sigh.

"But while it's cute, don't smother her."

"I won't."

He nods. "Good. She needs room to breathe, even if you and she both would rather be kissing than breathing."

The red that coats my face translates into a devilish gleam in his eyes.

I swallow the heat in my throat and chuckle dryly. "Matt, I'm an adult. Parental supervision isn't required anymore."

"I'm not your parent." He shrugs. "And adults make bad choices just as much if not more than kids do. So you need someone to advise you."

Elena watches all of this without a comment, sipping her coffee.

Where are my reinforcements when I need them the most?

After a long moment of silence, I clear my throat. "Do you think she's awake yet?"

Matt chuckles. "She'll get up when she gets up. Until then, calm yourself."

So I do. But not happily.

Matt and El talk while I stare into space, waiting.

Impatient.

Maybe it's silly. Maybe it's normal. But no matter what it is, my inability to wait contentedly is bothering me.

After a while, I hear something. My eyes snap to the curtains that form the walls of her bedroom. They part, and she steps out, smoothing down her hair.

She smiles at me, a sleepy smile, and waves a hand, walking closer.

"Good morning," she offers, voice soft and thick with sleep.

Both Matt and Elena return her smile.

"Good morning, lovely," Elena chimes, coming forward to wrap her up in a hug. "You were expecting Paris this morning?"

Femi shoots me a quick smile, still smudged with sleep, trailing a bit of playfulness along the edges. "I was."

"It's noon," I correct, returning the smile.

The light in her eyes is staying.

She turns back to Elena. "Well, yes, technically we were planning to go out at noon. He's overeager. And cute." She winks, still kind of sleepy, and chuckles. "And did I mention fun to tease?"

Matt elbows me lightly, and my face heats up, ever-susceptible to his egging.

"Anyways," she smirks at me for a moment. "I need to put some real clothes on. Give me a minute."