-Chapter Seventeen-

Location: Central

I should have known that after a while, her company would lose its sparkle. That her eyes would lose their borrowed warmth, that her hands would lose their accumulated gentleness for me.

Even rough things need to be dealt with gently on occasion. Even rough things need to be loved.

Why is the world so intent on making it clear only that the needy ones need? Everyone needs.

Everyone needs.

She's not around, today. It's been a few days, since the paint on my back, and some of it's still there, I'm sure.

I haven't worked to get it off.

My footsteps echo across the street and bounce off the brick buildings right back at me.

I'm going to lunch today. I'm out of food at my place, and I'd rather not go see Matt. Or Spero. Or Femi, actually. Something felt off when I took her home that night, even more than usual, like she was lying... or pretending.

Which doesn't surprise me. It should, shouldn't it? But it doesn't, because I know that no matter how friendly she works to be, she's afraid. Sometimes I can see it.

And sometimes, like when I brought her flowers, I can't.

It's a hit or miss with that girl. And I'm tired of being tired.

The sign that hangs above the café door looms up above me, ahead of me, and I duck into the doorway.

It smells like grease in here, like burgers and fries, and a little sweet, too, like ice cream.

A very familiar redhead stands at the counter.

Sighing, I walk up beside her and rest my elbows on the counter.

She glances over. "Hi."

"Hey," I reply, looking up. The purple shadows under her eyes are a bit darker than usual, and I look away, sighing again.

"Are you okay, today?" She doesn't glance at me this time. Her eyes stay on something in the kitchen.

"I'm fine." I straighten, stretching my back. "How are you?"

"Good enough," she says, looking up. She nods, perhaps more for her own benefit than mine.

"You look tired."

She smiles a little. "I am."

So am I. I don't say it, and I don't show things like that as well as she does, but I'm exhausted. I didn't sleep well last night, and didn't go to bed until very late the night before that. And then add in the fact that I've been running around, and it doesn't seem all that far fetched that I would be completely worn out.

The waitress comes back to the counter. "Your milkshake will be ready in a few minutes," she says to Femi.

As Femi walks to a nearby booth and sits down, the girl turns to me. "What would you like today?"

I look up at the menu. I've only been here a few times, and the food is really expensive. All things that involve non-canned meat is expensive, though.

"I'll take a burger and a vanilla shake. Cut the burger in half, please."

"Got it," she says, smiling. I pay her for mine and Femi's food before going to sit down at the booth with Femi.

I considered sitting somewhere else for a moment, but that would have been awkward. I would have done nothing but rethink my decision, and she probably would have made faces at me the whole time.