Chapter 46

Genevieve takes in a deep shaky breath and slowly separates herself from me.

"Sorry," she mutters. "Didn't mean to break down like that..."

"It's ok," I comfort her. Lacy slowly sits up and climbs out of Gen's lap. I awkwardly scan the scenery-if you can even call it that- of our little town. The McDonalds across the street is up and running again. Houses under construction after the storm are coming along fairly well.

I turn my gaze back to Gen.

"You... You know you can tell me anything... Right?" I prompt. Her eyes dart my way but quickly return to her hands. She fiddles with her fingers and shrugs.

"What's to tell?" she sighs. There's silence for a moment before Gen takes in another deep breath and says, "It was a long time ago and..."

I turn my body to face her more directly, thinking that she's actually launching into her story that still is so much of a mystery. But she cuts herself off, sighs and shakes her head. Lifting her head, she gives me a weak smile. I feel bad for wanting to push her story out of her but... Well, I do. Instead I try to change the subject.

"So. Do you want to meet the rest of the family officially before you decide about all this?"

Gen looks at me with her red eyes, now full of fear of the unknown. I take in her expression and give her an awkward little pat on the shoulder.

"They're not so bad. Just don't borrow Michelle's favorite clothes without asking or... Things happen. I speak from experience," I say with a goofy smile, shuttering at the memory.

Genevieve's lips curl into a smile and she giggles a little.

"Sure," she decides. "I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to go say hi to everyone."

Lacy grins and claps rapidly.

I smile at her and take her by the hand before standing up. Letting my other arm flop to my side, I give Genevieve an inviting smile.

"All right! Let's go meet the fam! And I can give you a house tour," I say with a wink.

Genevieve nervously pushes herself off of the ground. She gingerly fingers the lamppost as if it were a long lost possession of hers. My excited smile slowly fades and I notice Lacy start to suck on her thumb.

Did I want to help Genevieve by adopting her? Or did I somehow, only do this for myself...?

No, no, this was the least I could do after she saved our little girl.

Right?

Can you get attached to the spot on the street that became your home when you had none?

Or is she still thinking of her own family?

It's just normal for kids to be nervous about their adoptive families... Right?

Genevieve's hand slowly falls from the post to her side and she attempts a smile. "Let's go!"

"Ok! Ummm... We don't have to do this now, we can do it whenever you want," I offer, shrugging and trying to sound as light-hearted as possible.

Gen furrows her eyebrows. Then a look of realization comes over her face. With a wave of her hand and a glance at the ground she reassures me that now is fine.

I nod and eye her curiously before leading the way back home.

______________________
I open the door and hope Genevieve isn't intimated by the wide open space.