Chapter 11

Once we're all pulled back home, nobody knows what to do. It's incredibly awkward and quiet.

"Megan, please put Liam to bed," Mom says, rubbing her forehead.

I head upstairs to my room. I open my phone and text Natalie.

Can you come over tomorrow instead? I need to talk to you.

Almost immediately, the reply comes.

U ok?

I sigh.

Just please. I have good news, bad news, and... News that could be either or...?

I type.

Just tell me!

is the reply.

No it's better to do this face to face just please.

She eventually agrees.

     ______________________

Natalie comes over at ten on the dot the next day. I grab her arm and drag her up the stairs to my room.

"Boy, do I have stuff I need to tell you," I moan.

She looks at me funny.

"Bridget, what's going on?"

I take a deep breath. I decide to start with the news about finding Lacy. This time however, I just cut right to the chase.

"We found Lacy!!!!"

Natalie's jaw drops and she starts laughing hysterically.

"That's... That's wonderful!!! Where did you find her? Was she ok? How'd she escape?" she rambles.

"Whoa," I chuckle.

"Slow down."

She sucks in her breathe but is still bouncing up on her knees like a crazy person.

"I'm guessing that's the good news," she says.

I roll my eyes.

"Thanks Captain Obvious," I tease, playfully saluting to her.

She laughs, then her expression becomes serious.

"So... The bad news?" she asks cautiously.

"Well... Lacy's got leukemia... I have no idea how bad it is but I'm terrified..." I whisper.

Natalie is silent. She's about to open her mouth to say something, but then she closes it again. Eventually all she can think to say is:

"Wow."

I look up at her.

"Natalie? My other news is... I... That is..."

Natalie raises her eyebrows, clearly curious.

I glance out into the hallway through my open door. I scoot closer to Natalie.

"I want you to teach me about Christianity. I... I want to believe in God and Jesus. Lacy seems to ha-"

I'm cut short because Natalie has tackled me and is hugging me tight.

"That's amazing!!! It won't make life easy but oh! How wonderful it is to know someone's out there for you!" she practically screams.

I quiet her with a "Ssshhhhh!!"

"Natalie you said so yourself; my parents are against Christianity. They don't know about this and I plan to keep it that way," I grunt, immediately wishing I didn't sound so angry.

Even my harsh reaction can't wipe the smile off her face.

All of a sudden, Natalie's phone beeps. She hold up one finger indicating to "wait."

She opens her text and her expression goes from happy to solemn to worried faster than you could blink.

She stands up suddenly and says,

"Bridget, that was my brother, I have to go I'm really sorry."

She starts to rush out of the room but I grab her arm.

"Wait!" I beg.

"What's wrong?"

Natalie's starting to cry.

"Just please," she pleads with me.

Before I can stop her, she's ripped away and racing out if the house before I can do anything.

On top of everything, Natalie's keeping secrets from me.

I know it's a selfish thought because obviously something really hard is happening in her life.

But I wish she would tell me what it was. Was I that untrustworthy? Or was the situation that bad...?

God please... Just help Natalie.

I stopped myself for a moment. The first prayer I'd ever said. Simple, but a prayer nonetheless.

It just kind of happened. I don't even know if I believe in God right now.

I decide to text Katrina for a little while, to tell her all my news and then get my mind off of what happens with Natalie.