Chapter 22

I feel the warmth of sheets around me. The comfort of my bed engulfing my very-

Wait.

I wake up with a start, realizing this can't be my bed. My bed is a crushed pile of boards and sheets. Is this Megan's bed or Michelle's...?

I'm surrounded by white walls, covered in white sheets and lying on a white pillow.

I'm in the hospital.

But why?

I turn my head to the side, still lying down as my body refuses to make the effort to sit up. I see Megan on her cell, pacing back and forth, back and forth.

"Well, yeah she looked a bit sick but I didn't think she was going to faint and make me think she'd dropped dead!" she exclaims, tears falling slowly from her eyes.

There's silence as someone on the other end gives their reply.

Megan sighs.

"She's absolutely fine, Mom. They're pretty sure it's just a concussion. I described her symptoms. She did look exactly like she was feeling what I felt when I had one, now that I think about it. The doctors said something about stress and the heat not helping her concussion and hence making her faint. I don't know. She got rushed here because I was afraid it was far worse."

She stops pacing and listens before talking again.

"Mom, she's ok! You've dealt with, like, five concussions in the family before," she insists letting a smile escape her lips.

For some odd reason that I couldn't put my finger on, that smile got me thinking. It made me realize how much Megan- and everyone else has been going through. Yes, I knew everyone was hurting when we heard of Lacy's condition but I was so focused on my own feelings that I hadn't really thought about how the twins or Ben or Liam felt. And now I'm causing more stress. I know it's not really my fault that I've probably got a concussion but I hate to see everyone so worried about me. They have enough to worry about.

I muster enough will power to sit up in bed and call,

"Hey Meg?"

She jumps at the sound of my voice. Then, she quickly tells Mom I am awake and hangs up.

"Hey! Bridgers! You feeling ok?"

"Bridgers?" I scoff.

"That's a new one."

She laughs.

A full on, real laugh.

Then she gets serious.

"What even happened? The doctors are saying a concussion Bridget. What'd you do?"

The question actually makes me laugh. I know this concussion is probably the result of that stupid log. I wish I had a better story.

Oh well, you see, I was out in the tornado as you know, and this boulder was flying towards my friend. So, I lunged and pushed her but I didn't get myself out of the way in time so-

Who was I kidding?

I was hunched in a ball on the ground, bawling like a baby when a log decided to knock me out.

I try to find the words to start my story when Meg shakes her head and grabs my arm.

"Ya know what?" she says.

"You don't have to tell me right now."

I'm so grateful for her. She's so patient.

Suddenly a nurse pops her head into the room.

"Bridget?" she calls.

"Yes?" I reply.

"There's a... Genevieve here to see you? Do you want me to let her in?" she inquires.

"Oh yeah! Please!" I answer all too eagerly as Megan gives me a funny look.

I whisper excitedly,

"This is the girl I was talking about. The one I was scared for during the tornado."

Genevieve comes running in.

"Oh thank God!" she exclaims letting out a long held breath.

At the word "God" Megan awkwardly looks down and starts twiddling with her fingers.

I try to ignore that, a religion debate being the last thing I need right now.

"Gen!" I exclaim.

She comes and gathers me in her arms like we've known each other since birth. Then she steps back and looks me up and down before saying,

"You need to stop scaring me like that!"

She's laughing but she's dead serious at the same time.

I briefly introduce Genevieve and Megan.

Then I start bombarding them both with questions.

"Did you see Natalie and her family? A are they all ok? Where in earth will they live now?"

Megan and Genevieve look at each other nervously.

Genevieve's eyes start darting around the room.

"Well Natalie... She... She's umm..." she seems to be struggling to find the words.

I panic. No! No!

"Is she... Is she... Gone?" I choke out.

"Oh Heavens no!" Genevieve reassures me.

"But... She..."

"What???" I demand, hating how she's trying to ease me into whatever news she has.

I notice Megan has turned her away and she had her head in her hands. I'm ready to burst into tears for the millionth time this month but then I notice Megan's laughing.

"What do you find funny about this???" I accuse.

But then, Natalie walks in, her big bandage around her arm, but other than that good as new.

My jaw drops open and I start laughing and yelling at the same time. Genevieve and Megan area full out laughing now. They were trying to make me think Natalie was hurt when she was just fine!

"You two are evil!" I scream.

But I'm too relived to be truly angry.

Natalie's face is stained from tears and she comes up and gives me a one-armed hug.

And the two of us just laugh and cry while I continue to yell at Megan and Genevieve.

How amazing it feels to be in the arms of someone you thought you'd lost.

And in that moment, I feel more connected to Natalie then I ever have before. Which is saying something.

We're just two broken pieces of the world, making each other whole.