Chapter 21

I have nothing to say, except that I am extremely sorry. Please don't kill me. 

Chapter 21

Conner's POV:

I had wanted to have a long conversation with Valentina about turning me into a vampire, which would probably have involved shouting, fighting and preferably a bit of make-up sex. Unfortunately, all I got was a quick kiss, an even shorter apology, and her holding my now ice cold hand while we awaited the enemy on the staircase in front of the pack house.

Ethan and Ryan were standing on either side of us, a painful reminder of Will's death, but otherwise the area was clear. No need for it to be more causalities than necessary. Honestly, the only thing that kept me from running towards the hills was the knowledge of the pact between the Vampire Emperor and the Alpha, which prohibited the Alpha from killing any Vampire that did not threaten his or his pack's security. Of course, this still left him free to kill me, a werewolf by birth, which was probably why Val was holding my hand so tightly.

My nerves were really starting to get to me, when a black SUV pulled over from the main road and parked in front of us. For some reason I did not find the choice of car very surprising.

The engine was turned off, and a few moments later, the door to the driver's seat opened, and a werewolf stepped out of the car. The wolf had sandy blond hair, blue eyes and a couple of freckles spread over his cheeks. He was quite buff, but he still managed to appear slim. However, the most surprising thing was his composure. He seemed... relaxed, as though he was taking a walking in the park.

Even though the guy seemed very non-threatening, I could feel Ryan shifting to my left. Sure, I could understand his restlessness, but this really wasn't the right time to show weakness. More like the worst time ever, actually.

"Steady," I scolded him, using the mind link without taking my attention from the car. Ryan didn't answer, but he didn't move either so I figured he had gotten the message. I hoped he had. We needed all the advantage we could have, which wasn't much, even if we played our cards perfectly.

It took another couple of moments before the door to the passenger seat opened and the guy who was probably going to kill us all stepped out. After everything my wolf had told me about the Alpha, I was quite disappointed to learn that he was a normal looking guy, wearing jeans, T-shirt and a leather jacket. Okay, normal looking wasn't very accurate. He was taller than I was, not by much was, but he probably had around ten centimeters on me. His hair didn't seem to be styled, but the blond locks still managed to surround his face perfectly. And, of course, he possessed what was probably the most gorgeous face I had ever seen on a guy. He looked more like a duplicate of Apollo than a deadly fighter. Still, I wasn't stupid enough to take him lightly because of his (gorgeous) looks.

The Alphas eyes trailed past Valentina and me and then, surprisingly, stopped at Ryan, who whimpered pathetically. Not that I would be feeling very confident with the strongest alpha on earth looking at me, but Ryan's behavior today was embarrassing. Sure, I could feel the Alpha's presence from here, even as another alpha, but he didn't seem to be trying to appear threatening. He seemed more... I frowned slightly, unable to place the expression. Surprised? Confused? Amazed? The only thing I could think of that fitted his look was longing, but that didn't make any sense. Unless...

"I never expected to find my mate out here." The Alpha said, almost casually. "It makes it worth the eight hours long drive."

"He's your mate?" I half shouted at Ryan, using the mind link.