Chapter Nineteen: Bat 'er Up

The picture to the side is Mr. Emeron's Gran's house. Isn't it adorable?

Chapter Nineteen

Bat 'er Up

Colton and I freeze and stare, bewildered, at Mr. Emerson. He continues to just stand there, his hand raised and chest moving as he tries to catch his breath. Did he run here from his car?

Finally, after a few long moments of staring and heavy breathing, Colton asks, "What?"

Mr. Emerson lowers his hand and shrugs, as if what he did was totally normal. "Nothing. I just wanted to see how you two would react to the unanticipated."

I blink at him. Beside me, Colton does the same.

"So, did we pass?" Colton asks at long last.

"Pass what?" Mr. Emerson seems genuinely interested.

A muscle twitches in Colton's jaw. "Your stupid test that gave us heart attacks!"

"Oh, that." Mr. Emerson says, as if he did not just conduct the "test" seconds before. He waves a hand, giving us the impression it is unimportant. "It wasn't an inquiry of whether you pass or not. Rather, a question of how you would react to such an arbitrary turn of events."

My legs cramping from crouching for so long, I finally stand. Colton follows.

"Oh, of course." Colton replies to Mr. Emerson in mock understanding.

Mr. Emerson, sensing Colton's sarcasm, frowns. "I was only trying to prepare you for the unexpected..." He mumbles.

"I could show you unexpected-" Colton offers, so soft only I can hear. The fingers on his right hand twitch.

"Down boy." I shoot Colton a sharp look and he has the decency to look sheepish.