Chapter Eighteen: Breaking and Entering ...Again

Chapter Eighteen

Breaking and Entering ...Again

The results of my wake-up call to Colton are instantaneous.

He yelps, sending his blankets and sheets flying as he sits up and backs against the wall. His eyes dart around frantically, trying to assess the situation while still half-asleep.

I sit back on my heels, content to watch the confusion.

Colton continues to look around, his brow furrowed in confusion, which only deepens when Danielle comes flying into the room, a bedside-table lamp in her hands.

“Where’s ‘e?” She turns wildly, sending the cords to the small lamp flailing about. “I’ll get the int’uder!” She waves the lamp threateningly, her voice groggy.

I duck as she almost nails me in the face with the cord.

Colton’s eyes finally land on me, still crouched beside his bed. “Oh. Is only Carlson.”

“Oh.” Danielle lowers her lamp-like weapon. “Hey.” She lifts a hand in greeting and I return the gesture.

“So…” She seems to struggle with the new turn of events. “No bad guy?

“Nope.” I say, watching her in amusement.

“’Kay.” She scratches her head and then turns back to the door. “Goin’ back to bed. ‘Night.”

“’Night.” Colton calls back.

His door closes with a faint click.

Colton rubs his face with both hands, groaning softly. He blinks a few times, as if trying to wake himself up. “What brings you to my bedroom?” he finally asks. His tone is conversational, if still slightly husky.

“We clean Mr. Emerson’s Gran’s house today.” I tell him. I check my phone for the time and gasp. “We’re so late!” I jump up. “You need to get dressed!”

Colton makes no sign of movement.

“Bah!” I throw my hands in the air and go to his dresser. “Here, wear this this and this.” I fling clothes at him.

“Hey!”

“No time for arguments.” I point a finger at him. He pouts. “You have two minutes to get dressed and be downstairs. Breakfast will be waiting.”

I don’t wait for his response; I simply leave the bedroom.

In the kitchen, I rummage through the cupboards until I find some cereal and bowls. I fix Colton and I the cereal (because waking him up really gave me an appetite) and then check my phone again.