Chapters 17-20

17.No One Strong Enough

I sat on the bed uncomfortably with my hands still tied behind my back. I tried to free my hands, but only succeeded in rubbing my wrists raw. Luckily, John arrived a few minutes later with several useful things. He quickly slashed the rope and rubbed lotion on my wrists. “Thanks,” I muttered as I rubbed my hands together.

“You're welcome,” he replied as he set the lotion on the table. “Are you hungry? Tom said you refused to eat?”

“A little,” I answered and he handed me a sandwich. “How is Dr. Jason and Anna?”

“My brother is well and Anna has a small bruise; but she had been worried sick about you. She so wants to see you, but Billy refuses to let her,” John told as he stared at the floor.

“When did he become the boss?” I hissed as I stared at the floor too.

“James, you were the leader before you hit Anna. When you hit her, he decided what needed to be done to keep everyone safe and there was no one strong enough to stop him,” he explained as he gently pat my back.

“I'm sorry. I won't do it again, promise. I don't even know why I did it the first time. The only reason I can guess is that I felt confused and left out,” I cried as I looked up at him.

He pulled me closer to him like I was a little boy and told, “Maybe if you behave for a few days; then you will be allowed to leave this room.”

“Can Tom visit me or did I get him in too much trouble?” I asked as more tears flowed down my cheeks.

“He did help you escape; so Billy had him locked in his room with only Kelly and Tilly allowed to see him,” John told honesty.

“I asked him to and he being a monkey, made him only too willing,” I cried into John's shoulder. “He should not be punished for what I asked him to do.”

“I know,” John replied before he left; so I laid down on the bed, but I didn't sleep.

18.No More

“Hey James,” Dr. Jason greeted as he entered with a guard behind him, a hour after John had left.

“Hi, you don't need him,” I told as I glanced at the guard, but the guard didn't budge.

“Come sit please,” Dr. Jason commanded calmly as he sat at the table and I quickly obeyed. “May I look at your arm?”

“Sure,” I purred as I slid my arm from the sling and held it out for him.

“It looks good, but a little raw. Who bound it?” he asked as he unwrapped it.

“Tom did,” I answered as he carefully touched it before wrapping it again.