DAVID | Bonus Chapter

Two different days, two different women, two different reasons and yet the pain I'm feeling right now feels so familiar

I saw her before anyone else. I saw her the moment she stepped inside the gallery. I saw the bright smile on her face as she looked up at all the people gathered around her paintings. There was a surprised look in her eyes as if she still couldn't believe that this was happening to her that something good was happening to her. I wanted to reassure her that this is what she deserved, not because the almighty felt sorry for the life she was given, it's because she worked hard for it.

When she met me a few months ago, she was beyond nervous. She told me she was dating someone and that he was a good guy. She was a little nervous but so was I. I wanted her so much but I just couldn't do it all over again. There was just too much damage.

I could see the change in her. Her eyes no longer demanded my approval or craved for my attention or love. She knew better now. I was no longer the man she wanted and that was fine.

It has been years and even though the feelings were still there. They were no longer relevant to any one of us but no matter how many years go by, they are here to stay.

"That's her?"

Taylor, a friend, a colleague and also my human shield for today asked as she saw me intently staring at Cheryl. Taylor works for me and eventually we have developed a comfortable friendship. I told her about Cheryl but not the entire truth. She just knows that this woman holds a special place in my heart. The invite to the gallery came a couple of weeks ago and I had to bring someone along because I saw her name. Her new name.

Mrs. Cheryl Merchant

She married someone. She was someone's wife now. She was no longer mine in any way possible.

"Yeah, that's her. Smile and be yourself. And don't tell me again why lying is a bad idea."

She was against the idea of introducing herself as my girlfriend but I don't want Cheryl to think that I'm still stuck in the past. She will have questions and I don't think I can lie to her face again and again.

"My lips are sealed."

I observed her from afar. She looked stunning. She always does. No woman comes even second close to her. I sucked a deep breath as I saw a tall man circling his arms around her waist, breathing her scent, and dropping soft kisses on her neck.

It hurts. It's been a long time but it still does.

The pain never goes away and maybe I liked feeling it too. The pain of losing Selena is the same as having Cheryl in my arms. I had to let them go. I had a responsibility towards my daughter and the longer I stayed with her the more I wanted to give up everything.

It's not like I lost her because I wanted to be a better father. I lost her because I was man enough to go to understand that she deserved better.

Her mother spots me and there is a twinkle in her eyes when she calls out my name. She doesn't know about anything that happened between me and her daughter. She thinks I was there for her child when she needed support. I'm sure Cheryl must have told her something more but not enough because she is still smiling at me and not kicking me out of this place.

I saw her husband as I handed the flowers to Cheryl. He knew. He knew our history and he stood there beside her without any doubts. He knew that I'm not a threat because his wife moved on. She moved on and is living her life now.

I introduce Taylor as my fiance instead of my girlfriend. She took it in stride and congratulated her too. Cheryl's eyes were studying mine and for a second I felt like she could read me.

I walked away from her without taking much of her time. Because I am no longer the man she loves. I am no longer the man she used to follow with her eyes. I am no longer a secret lover. I am just a person who was there when no one else could be. And for that she is grateful and for that, she will always care about me.

I admire the paintings instead. One in particular catches my eyes. I don't know who that woman is but she looks old and almost sinister. Her face is painted in four different canvases but her eyes look dark and disturbed. This is not just an inspirational painting. She knew this woman, she knew how many wrinkles are there around her eyes. My respect for Cheryl grew a little more, she survived something dark and twisted and still came out stronger.

Not many can do that.

I pluck a glass of champagne from the tray even though I could use some scotch or whiskey. My eyes gravitate back to her. She is slow dancing with her husband. There is a smile on her face. She looked peaceful, something she never did when she was with me.

She looks up as if she could feel me staring at her. I raise my glass to her. She smiles at me. A smile I recognize. A smile that I gave her when she told me she loved me. I never said it back but I know she knows.

I smile back because even though I may never find someone like her again in my life, I'm glad I helped in saving her from herself. If she was with me, no matter how much I loved her back, she still would have ruined herself.

As she looks away from me I promise her again, in another life, she is going to be my wife and no one can stop me from doing that. We are soulmates and we'll find our way to each other in the next life no matter what.

I hook my arms around Taylor's shoulder and we walk around the gallery appreciating art. There is nowhere in this world where I rather want to be right now.

 There is nowhere in this world where I rather want to be right now

I loved writing his thoughts. The man is as complicated as they come. Sometimes, pushing someone away is the best thing you can do to that person. People might not be toxic but sometimes their relationships are. It takes a good heart and a lot of strength to walk away from someone you love because you know being apart is better than being miserable together (this is just my personal opinion).

 It takes a good heart and a lot of strength to walk away from someone you love because you know being apart is better than being miserable together (this is just my personal opinion)