Chapter Eight

After my months of observation, having moved to Bantfell, I came to the conclusion that Mitchell was harbouring a serious crush on Kelly. He went with her everywhere, did everything she asked of him, and he tried way too hard to convince everyone that he was into every girl he laid eyes on when really the only girl he had eyes for was her. Every time she talked about one of the super hot superheroes he would turn sour and that day was no exception.

                “He must work out,” Kelly mumbled. “I mean he’s good looking. Right Avery?”

                “Sure Kels,” I murmured not really paying much attention to the picture of superhero Total that she was showing me.

                “Give it a rest Kel,” Mitchell growled. “None of us care about how, air quote hot un-air quote, that guy is.”

                “I know,” she scowled. “It’s nice having a girl friend to talk to this stuff about. I mean you guys are always talking about stunning girls. Why can’t I talk about guys?”

                “We do not,” Mitchell snorted.

                “Yes you do. It stinks how do you think it makes Avery and I feel? I mean so we don’t have superpowers. We’re not invisible you know.”

                “Oh but Invisigirl does have pretty sweet legs,” Tim chuckled.

Both Kelly and I shot him a death glare. He held his hands up in defeat and dropped his head.

                “I mean would it kill a guy to notice us for once. I mean all I want is for someone to be like hey Kel, I like you and you’re pretty. Want to go out with me?”

Her eyes were glued to Mitchell’s the whole time. She was handing it to him on a plate. His lips parted his cheeks heated. All he had to do was say the words. But he mumbled and stuttered and dropped his head completely unable to form the sentence and no matter how much I gave him the wide eye of encouragement he just couldn’t do it. Kelly sighed heavily.

                “Never mind,” she muttered. “Just forget it.”

                Later that day I wandered to the park alone. After last night being alone really didn’t appeal much to me but I didn’t seem to have much other choice as my friends were occupied with their own lives. I found, as I looked around the place, that I was growing to like elements of Bantfell. I didn’t feel so much like everyone was whispering behind my back anymore, in fact I felt like I was part of Bantfell’s big secret. I suppose I was. In a strange way I felt like part of an elite. In a way I shared the monopoly of truth that the people of Bantfell held.

                I crossed the field on the park grounds finding myself having to hop to avoid stomping on daffodils and daisies. The park was alive with laughter, children running around and swinging off of monkey bars and hanging off little plastic round abouts. Luckily for me the swings were unoccupied, a rare occurrence at all the other parks I’d been to. I sat down on one holding onto the rusted metal chain that held the seat. I slowly began to sway until my legs were dangling just above the asphalt covered ground.

                “Swings? Really?”

I looked up to find Max looking down at me entirely unimpressed.

“Yes swings. Swings are fun.” I glared up at him. “Come on bring out your inner child.”

 I pointed to the swing beside me. He quirked a brow but only after I whined in insistence actually sat down and slowly began to swing.