Hurt lovers

With his hands hidden in the pockets of his jacket, Spencer was strolling through the city. It was late, some minutes after midnight, he guessed. And there weren't many people outside at this time. But Spencer didn't care. He wanted to be alone at the moment. He didn't feel the need to talk to anyone because people would ask him how he was feeling, what was wrong and he was tired of explaining.

The four walls in his apartment had felt like a prison to him during the last hours, so he'd have to escape. And now he was here, somewhere downtown, while most lights behind windows were already turned off. A sigh left Spencer's mouth as he put the collar of his jacket up. It was getting cold; a chilly wind had started and made Spencer's hair look even messier than it already was. He didn't care. There was no way he'd go back home right now. He'd only stroll through the rooms while trying to get rid of his thoughts, what he never managed anyway.

It had been nine months. Nine months since he'd lost his first – and he was sure his only – love, Maeve Donovan. She got killed by a crazy stalker, right in front of him. He had gotten some time off from work and when he'd come back to the BAU, everyone around him was careful. Careful about what they were saying, what they were doing and sometimes he felt someone's look on his back. And Spencer knew what they were thinking: Would he ever get over Maeve's death? Would he ever be the same again? He himself didn't even know the answers to these questions. And every day he prayed that no one would ask him how he was feeling and if they could help him somehow. No one could. He knew he had to get over it. And sometimes he felt like he could do it. There were days and even weeks he felt good and thoughts about Maeve were rare. And then there were days and especially nights when he couldn't stop thinking about her, about her death and racked his brains if there would've been any chance to save her. But no matter how much he thought about it, nothing would bring Maeve back and Spencer had to learn living with this fact.

~

Suddenly, without even realizing, Spencer found himself entering a 24-hours-store. There weren't many people in there anymore at that time of the night, he immediately saw. The shop was small, so Spencer could take in everything with one look. Only a business man and a young dark haired woman were in here with him. The young agent strolled through the shop, looked at stuff he didn't really need but still grabbed: A jar of ice cream, shampoo, some bottles of beer, a random magazine, chewing gum and cereals. Absorbed in his thoughts, Spencer slowly walked towards the salesman. He didn't see the young woman which came from the other side, not looking where she was walking neither. They collided and both let fall their purchases. "Oh, shit! Sorry!" The young woman murmured as she bent down to grab what she had let fallen. "It's my fault as well." Spencer quietly said as he did the same as she. When they both grabbed their jars of ice cream, Spencer stopped and looked up, into her face – which was quite pretty. A little smile appeared on his lips. "Chocolate Chip?" He just asked and she nodded. „It's my favorite flavor." She said and stood up again, holding all the things she wanted to buy in her arms. "Mine as well." Spencer held up his jar of ice cream, what made her smirk. "What are you doing in a 24-hours-store after midnight?" He then curiously asked. She pressed her lips together as if she was thinking about telling him her reasons why or not.

And she was seriously thinking about it while she watched him putting his purchases on the sales counter. She didn't know this young man and although she could see the same sadness as hers in his eyes, she wasn't quite sure about telling him about the most heartbreaking time of her life. She cleared her throat and he turned around to look at her once again. "I...couldn't sleep. Happens every once in a while." She murmured and watched him paying before it was her turn. Spencer nodded a few seconds later. "Happens to me too." He just said and waited for her to pay. She frowned. Why was he waiting? Didn't he want to go home? It was late and he looked tired; at least as tired as she felt. But she didn't dare to sleep. Not tonight. "What are you waiting for?" She asked him as she grabbed the bag full of her purchases. Spencer winced. "Oh, I...uhm..." He stammered and let his fingers run through his messy hair. "I don't know about you, but...I could need a coffee." He finally managed to say. „Would you...like to join me?" For a moment there was silence between them, but then she nodded. "I know a coffee shop that's open twenty-four hours." She said and they both went down the nightly streets, their purchases in their arms.