Regrets Part II

No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside..”

-Unknown

•••

"Hey Elsa.. You okay?" Elena asks, plopping onto the couch beside me. I hold out the bucket of chunky monkey ice cream to her, which she happily takes.

I sigh before replying, "I'm as fine as I can be at this point. With everyone just... passing away to vampires to Mason to being pregnant to dealing with my feelings for Damon. Then worrying if you, Jenna, and Jeremy are okay. I just.. I'm fine." Elena looks at me with worried eyes before setting the ice cream aside.

"Everything is going to be okay. I know it's hard believe but one day it will be. You need to stop stressing and think about yourself for once. Think about the baby. Although I'm not happy with the idea of you and Damon... If he makes you happy then I'm willing to accept it." She tells me, sending me a comforting smile.

Her words cause disappointment to flow through me.

"You don't have to worry about that. I'm pretty sure I screwed that up," I say, picking up the ice cream and shoving a spoonful into my mouth. Seeing her about to say something, I send her a look that basically says, 'Don't Ask'.

She sighs but doesn't question any further.

"Why don't you go up to bed? I'll clean up down here, ok?" My little sister smiles, helping me off the couch.

I send her a thankful smile before walking up the stairs and into my room. A warm bubble bath already in mind.

• • •

Walking out of the bathroom, feeling relaxed, I hum to 'Lips Are Moving' by Meghan Trainor. I gasp in fear and surprise when I find Damon sitting on my bed, "Oh gosh, you scared me."

He lifts his head and looks at me, "Just doing my part, the neighborhood watch." I smile hesitantly as I tug at the cotton robe I wore.

"Thank you.. For looking out for us, for me, especially my baby.." I say to him, wringing my hands together.

"That's me, the trusted bodyguard, calm in crisis..." He replies, his hand gestures and body movement proving my suspicions; he was drunk.

I send him a look of disappointment and knowing, "You've been drinking? And you're upset, not a good combination." Staring at him, I wonder what exactly he is upset about, most likely what I said to him. But that can't be the only thing.

"No, I'm not upset," He denies while shaking his head. "Upset is an emotion specific to people who care."

I wrap my arms around myself and shake my head at him, "Come on Damon, that's a lie. You care.."