Home

Home is a place you grow up wanting to leave, and grow old wanting to go back to.”

-John Ed Pearce

I sigh as I finally pass the 'Welcome To Mystic Falls' sign. Smiling and crying as I pass the places that hold so much memories.

'Why did I come back here?' I ask myself. Everything reminds me of him. I shake my head trying not to think of the man who hurt me. Inhaling deeply and exhaling, trying to keep from crying.

Finally, I reach my childhood home. The place that reminds me of my dead parents and of him. I step out of the car and walk up the steps to the door, but pause to take everything in.

Before I could even knock, the door is thrown open by my Aunt/best friend Jenna.

"Elsa! Oh my gosh, you're finally here. Are you okay? How was the drive? Are you hungry? Tired? Oh my gosh! What about the baby!? Is he okay? I knew I shouldn't have let you drive! I am such a bad pe-" She panics, but I cut her off by pulling her into a hug.

"Jenna! We are fine.. Quit freaking out, ok?" I tell her, smiling as she nods. I look behind her only to see a handsome man standing there. "Who is this, Jenna?"

She looks confused before turning around, "Oh! That is my boyfriend Alaric. Alaric this is my niece, Elsa." He flashes me a smile and steps forward extending a hand.

"Nice to meet you, Jenna has told me a lot about you." He says, laughing. I ignore his hand and pull him into a hug instead making him gasp in surprise.

"Sorry, I'm a hugger." I laugh, his face holding a hilarious expression. He just smiles and shakes his head.

Jenna suddenly grasps my arm and yanks me into the house, "Come in, you must be tired and hungry. I'm gonna show you your room and then Ric is going to grab your things. Then, after you clean yourself up we are going to the grill to eat. Ok? Ok."

I just smile and laugh at her rambling, "Oh, I've missed you so much Jenna." She stops talking as we sit on the bed and hugs me.

"Me too, Elsa. Your parents would be so proud of you." Jenna mumbles.

I frown and look down, "Proud? More like disappointed. I mean look at me, pregnant and alone. Can I be anymore pathetic? I mean my own husband left because of how disappointing I am. If I were him I would have left me too. Who wants someone who isn't good enough? And that's me. I'm never good enough Jenna!"

Tears are streaming down both of our faces as Jenna shakes her head."You are far from being a disappointment Elsa! Your parents always talked about how proud they were of you. That you found someone that loved you and how you followed your dreams. And I know it hurts that Mason left but it is NOT your fault! Understand? It is NOT your fault!" She exclaims, rubbing my back. I just continue to cry, the pain and tears I have been holding in for so long finally being released.

"It hurts Jenna, it hurts so much. Everyone leaves me! My mom, dad, and Mason did! And now I'm pregnant... I don't know if I can do this!" I cry, she just rubs my back. I hear a thud and quickly stop crying. As I wipe my tears away, I look up to see Alaric standing in the doorway.

"Uh, sorry... I have your things." He explains, scratching his head awkwardly. Jenna and I look at each other and start laughing while he just stares, confused. "What? What did I say?"

Through my laughter I tell him, "You're so adorable Ric. Jenna is one lucky gal." Alaric looks towards the ground blushing as Jenna stops laughing to playfully glare at me.