DURYODHAN'S INSULT

In Hastinapur...

With the Pandavas' survival revealed, a succession crisis was started. Upon the news of Yudhishthir's death, the title of crown prince had fallen to Duryodhan. Dhritrashtra invites the Pandavas toHasthinapur and proposes that the kingdom be divided. The Pandavas are assigned the wasteland Khandavprastha, referred to as unreclaimed desert. Drupad becomes enraged at the perceived insult towards his daughter; at Yudhishthir's prodding, Draupadi pacifies her father despite her own misgivings. With the help of Krishna, Pandavas rebuilt Khandavprastha into Indraprastha. The crown jewel of the country was the main palace, built in a valley. It was filled with books, art, mounted creatures, and with Mayasura's sorcery, there were awe-inspiring illusions everywhere.
Yudhishthir performed the Rajasuya Yagna, the Pandavas gained lordship over many regions.
Indraprastha was built at the site of theKhandava forest. The pride of buildings was the "Palace of Illusions", and this was whereDuryodhana and his entourage explored during Hastinapur's attending of the Rajasuya Yajna.

The moment Duryodhan entered the palace he encountered an atmosphere of mystery. The courtyard was divided in two parts. The surface of one part appeared to ripple like the surface of a lake. The surface of the other part appeared solid as granite flooring and when Duryodhan stepped on the apparently solid part of the courtyard, there was a splash and Duryodhana found himself waist deep in water, drenched from head to foot. When Draupadi and her maids saw this from the balcony they were amused. Duryodhana felt extremely insulted that Draupadi and her maids saw his embarrassing predicament. Draupadi joked "Andhasya Putra Andhaha" meaning "a blindman's (referring to Dhritrashtra) son is blind"

In some versions of the Mahabharat, Bheem, Arjun, and the twin brothers alongside their retinues witness Duryodhan's fall and laughed with their servants. Some say the popular insult of a "blindman's son" is believed to be a later addition. Duryodhan felt insulted by the behaviours of the four Pandavas, stoking his hatred of them.
Some versions of Mahabharat do not support this, though it does mention the hearty laugh. These insulting moments pierced Duryodhan deep within him. Nevertheless, because of this insult and the envy within him, of the Pandavas' luxury, Duryodhan decided to humble them and hence proposed them to play a game of dice.