Chapter Thirteen

The next morning was a time to reflect. To ponder all the choices I've made and any choice I decide to make in the nearby future. Charles and Raven were fast asleep in each of their prospective rooms.

I wrote a goodbye letter to Raven, but not to Charles. Nothing I could put in words would truly express my guilt for the decision I was about to make. I couldn't even manage to look him in the face and say goodbye myself. I didn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. I hoped that if I left without saying goodbye, it would be like ripping off a bandage- quick and painless after.

After placing a gentle kiss on his forehead, I watched as Charles stirred in his sleep, his arm reaching out for me. Feeling a lump in my throat, I tried my best not to cry as I grabbed my bag.

Charles would wake up with no one to hold onto.

~A Week Later~
I was in the papers recently. Isabelle Sandreas, 20 years old, went missing last week on a Tuesday. I'd be stupid if I didn't expect for Charles and Raven to look for me. Over the years, we've grown into a small family, the triad force of mutants.

I learned that if I wanted to be on the run, that meant there was no time for settling. I was constantly on the move in only just a week. Of course I was unemployed, so I had to get my money in dishonest ways with the use of my powers- thievery to be clear.

That night, I watched the dark night sky through the small window of the airplane I was seated in. Only a few more hours till I arrived in America. I planned on heading to Claire's place, although I wasn't sure if she would be prepared for my arrival. I had already abandoned two families and didn't plan to abandon this one.

I needed to make amends and see her before anything happened to her. Since it seemed that I have lost the people I care about the most.

The ride so was long and exhausting, to the point in which I even wrote a letter, the letter I should've given to Charles back in England; the letter that would hopefully explain everything.

But I never gained the courage to send it to him.

~Hours later~

Her house was still the same. It had the same morning glow under the early rising sun. That wooden shed in the far left corner that Claire promised she was going to fix was yet to be renovated. It felt comforting to finally be home.

With much hesitation, I finally gathered some courage and knocked on the door. I wasn't sure she would even answer at this hour, and something in me was hoping she wouldn't. But it was too late.

She swung open the door, rubbing her eyes tiredly. "Can I help you?" She seemed dazed at first until she got a good look at me and had to rub her eyes again to see if it was true. "Isabelle? Is that really you?"

"Mhm," I nodded, almost crying in happiness and she pulled me into a hug.

"Come in!" She beckoned and pulled away from the hug wit a smile, letting me come in.

I walked inside and took a seat in her old couch. It was nice to see that even the interior remained unchanged. "Are you hungry?" Claire asked. That's what I loved about her. She was so generous, to the point in which she put others' needs before her own.

"No thanks Claire. I'm just jet lagged . You mind us continuing this in the morning?" I asked.

"Sure, of course," Claire nodded. "Well your room's still there. I haven't moved anything. Goodnight Isabelle."

"Night," I waved and watched as she walked back to her room.

~The Next Morning~

It felt great to sleep in my old room, which flooded with so many wonderful memories. I woke up at around noon, so Claire was already working on lunch. She was crouched over the counter, working on her masterpiece sandwiches.

"Need any help?" I asked.

"No, I'm almost done anyway," she said, "So what brings you here?"

"I just got tired of being away for so long," I shrugged, "Thought maybe I should come back here and help around."

"I'd love that and all, but what happened to Charles? I thought things were going well."

"We kinda broke things off," I lied, "Didn't work out."

"What a shame. I thought Charles was the one," Claire frowned, "Well don't worry, there are other fish in the sea."

I sighed, wanting so badly to change the subject, "So where's Michael?"

Before I headed off to college, Claire had been dating a doctor named Michael. He was a kindhearted guy that was just right for Claire, right enough to eventually get married to her not so long after.

"Did I forget to tell you? He's volunteering in Cambodia right now. He won't be back till next week," Claire explained.

Michael had a passion for saving lives. Maybe that was why I thought he was so perfect for Claire. Claire was the one who saved my life so long ago. They were practically made for each other. It almost brought tears to my eyes at how well their lives ended up, unlike all the other people I've came in contact with.

Suddenly, the house phone that was attached to the wall rang. "Hello?" Claire picked it up, pausing from making her sandwiches. There was a momentary pause and then her eyes laid on me. "I...are you sure she's missing?"

The smile on my face dropped as soon as I heard that. I shook my head to her, trying to give her a signal that I didn't want him to know where I was.

She frowned at me in disappointment. "Yes, she's here. Isabelle is perfectly fine, do you want to speak to her?"

"No!" I shouted and he probably heard through the other line. "Hang up!" I whispered hoarsely.

"She can't come to the phone right now, sorry," Claire said, "Alright Charles...Can't wait...bye." As soon as she hung up, she gave me a questioning look, crossing her arms in disbelief.

"I can explain-"

"Why would you run away like that? What happened this time?"

"It's a long story but it's best if I stay out of Charles's life. He deserves better," I told her.

"Charles loves you. And I don't think anyone has made you as happy as he has," Claire reasoned. "You can't just run away at the slightest sign of fear."

I sighed, knowing she wouldn't understand. And I shouldn't have expected her too; she still had no clue about my powers. "He isn't coming here, is he?"

"He said he was taking his jet here as soon as possible," Claire said.

"Ugh," I groaned, "I know you're trying to help Claire and I don't blame you for it."

"What are you gonna do?" She pursed her lips.

"I'm leaving," I stood up from my seat on the couch.

"Are you serious? You just got here!"

"I can't stay here Claire. I can't let him see me," I explained, "Charles needs to move on. And so do I. This was a bad idea from the start."