Chapter Seven

"Look I'm so sorry about earlier. I didn't expect for that to happen," I apologized as I secured the bandage on Charles' nose.

"It's alright. All that matters is that you're improving," Charles smiled reassuringly.

"You're either really delusional or insane," I chuckled, setting my hands down on my lap. "So what now?"

"Well we could continue training if you'd like," Charles shrugged.

"With your condition? Not an option," I shook my head, "Any other ideas?"

"Well my ideas go against the code of conduct you so strictly enforced," Charles smirked, earning a playful glare from me, "So no. I don't have any suggestions."

"Well how about we just chat? I mean, you haven't really told me much about yourself," I said.

He turned away from me, his cheeky grin slightly fading, "Oh I'm not really all that interesting."

"So? Don't sell yourself short. You're like the most popular guy at this school...well according to my roommate."

"That's because small talk is an easy skill to master. However, speaking about my past isn't," he admitted.

"You already know enough about me, so I deserve to at least learn a little bit about you," I insisted. For such a confident guy, he seemed so vulnerable at the moment.

"What would you like to know?" He asked, unsure where to even start.

"Anything," I shrugged.

"That's specific," he rolled his eyes with a grin and rubbed his chin, thinking pensively. "Well uh I discovered my powers at quite an early age. At first I thought I was just going crazy but soon I realized, all the voices I thought I was hearing weren't in my mind, but were in fact, in the minds of those around me."

"Did your parents know?" I asked.

"My parents were never really around. And when they were, I wasn't exactly the center of attention," Charles explained, "Eventually, Raven showed up at my house, attempting to steal food. However, I offered her a place to stay and we grew up together. She's practically family."

"She seems like a really nice gal," I smiled, seeing as how much he cared for her. It's like he had this compassion for those like him, like he felt the need to help others in need and it was sweet to hear.

"She's quite kind, indeed. She's like a younger sibling to me," he smiled, "You have a sibling too."

"How'd you-" I narrowed my eyes then realized, "Right, mind reading. Still not used to it. And didn't I say to stop that?"

"I already knew this before we made that agreement. I'm just bringing up the topic now since it seems most appropriate," Charles shrugged.

I sighed, "Well yeah, I had one. Not sure if he's all grown up or not but I was supposed to have a younger brother. I remember when my parents bickered about whether or not they should name him Emmanuel or Anthony." I smiled slightly, remembering my childhood days before...you know.

"Well if it makes you happy, he's very much alive. And healthy," Charles smiled reassuringly.

"How are you so sure?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"All in here," Charles pointed to his temple. As much as I wanted to ask him more, I decided to leave it at that. My family was my past and as long as they were happy, I was content.

~Time Skip~

Once I got back to my dorm room, I sat by the window, contemplating the day's events. It had been a while since I used my powers, and just when I thought I'd escaped that tragic part of my life, I was sucked right back in.

But as much as I hated it, I kind of enjoyed this spark of adventure. It wasn't easy to grow up amongst people who have no clue how much power I actually obtained. And now that I actually found people who went through the same thing, I was pretty satisfied.

"Welcome back roomie," Darlene walked into the room, setting down her bag. "How was your date?"

"It wasn't a date," I quickly retorted, turning back to glance at my friend.

"Then what was it?"

"We were studying for our renaissance literature exam that's coming up. He joined my class like a week ago," I explained, quickly formulating a lie. To be honest, it was partially true.

"At six in the morning?" Darlene arched a brow.

"Your brain is most fresh in the morning," I said slowly, knowing that was a terrible excuse.

"Right..."she muttered, clearly not convinced. "Anyway, I got mail for you. It's from America." Darlene tossed an envelope to me with a smile.

Furrowing eyebrows in confusion, I decided to open up the letter. As I took it out of the envelope and unfolded it, I started to read.

Dear Isabelle,

I'm not sure exactly how to write this or what to even say. So I guess I'll be blunt and get to the point. There are dangerous people looking for you. I can't reveal much or they'll find me, but be careful. Even around those closest to you. Don't trust anyone.

-J.H

"Who's the letter from?" Darlene peered over, trying to read.

"No one important. Just another offer to subscribe to a newsletter," I shrugged it off.

Darlene narrowed her eyes for a moment, then turned away, deciding not to say anything. She hadn't seen luckily, when I sighed in relief. Whatever was going on, I couldn't involve her in it. Darlene didn't need to be dragged into my past.