Chapter Six

"Doesn't it get boring for you? You know, reading people's minds and all?" I asked as I sipped my tea. After class, we walked to a local café nearby.

"Not really. I'd like to think I'm...breaking the ice," Charles smiled. His fingers lingered around his cup, but he kept his eyes focused on mine.

"Right," I nodded, though not convinced, "So why'd you really follow me to class today? Cause I know for a fact it isn't because you like me. I've heard about your history."

Charles chuckled, "And what have you heard?"

"Let's just say, you've made a lot of female acquaintances," I crossed my arms.

"What can I say? I'm a friendly person," he grinned. I rolled my eyes, not surprised that this was the reaction I got. His smile faded and his expression turned more serious, "But on a serious note, I'm truly fascinated by you."

"Is that your usual pick up line? Cause it could use some work," I was still not convinced.

"I mean it. Raven and I haven't really had many chances to meet people like us."

"You mean mutants?" I whispered.

"Exactly," he nodded, "And from what I learned about you, you're very powerful . But you still have yet to learn how to control your powers."

"Hey I'm working on it," I retorted.

"Well, let me help you," Charles offered.

"And what would you get in return?"

"The chance to help a fellow mutant," he shrugged.

As much as I didn't want to admit it, he was right. I needed to learn how to control my powers if I wanted to live under the radar. With a sigh, I answered, "I'll do it."

Charles shook his head, expecting that I'd reject his offer, "I promise I won't- wait what? Did you just agree?" It was nice to see he didn't see that coming.

"Yeah. I'll do it," I nodded, "But I get to set the ground rules."

"Of course. That's only reasonable," Charles nodded.

"No hiding things from me or lying," I said.

"Understandable," he nodded.

"No flirting."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes I'm sure," I pursed my lips.

"Alright, got it."

"And no mind reading without my permission. That's an invasion of privacy," I finished, "Deal?"

Charles thought pensively for a moment, "...Deal."

"Alright let's shake on it."

"How about we seal the deal with a kiss?" Charles smirked.

"What did I just say?" I raised a brow, holding out my hand.

"No flirting," Charles sighed and shook my hand. "We'll revise that guideline later."
~Time Skip~

"Oi, Isabelle!" Darlene shook me awake.