Chapter Two

I don't know how, but I managed to travel that day from Buenos Aires to Concordia. I slept there for the night- well technically day since time was still frozen.

The next day, I kept moving, knowing I couldn't go home. I managed to hitchhike a ride to Monte Caseros, but couldn't find a place to stay.

For a while, I roamed around the streets aimlessly, unsure of what to do or where to go next. The city was pretty quiet, mainly because everyone was indoors.

"¿Estás perdido?" a woman who looked like she was in her twenties asked. She had black hair and hazel eyes. (Are you lost?)

"Sí," I admitted, since she didn't seem that dangerous. (Yes.)

"¿Donde intentan ir?" (Where are you trying to go?)

"Yo no se," I shrugged. Where was I trying to go? (I don't know.)

"¿Dónde están tus padres?" (Where are your parents?)

"Ido," I said simply. (Gone.)

The woman frowned, "Perdón. ¿Necesitas un casa para quedarse?" (I'm sorry. Do you need a place to stay?)

"Sí, gracías," I thanked her, feeling so grateful that I didn't have to sleep on the streets. (Yes, thank you.)

Once we arrived at her house, the woman, who I now knew was named Claire Wade, cooked dinner for the both of us. We talked for a while, and I learned that she was actually from America.

Luckily, my parents taught me English too at a young age, so I knew it pretty well. "Thank you again for letting me stay," I told her.

"No worries. You can stay as long as you like," she smiled. I could tell she felt bad for me and was just trying to help.

"I don't want to be a bother," I shook my head.

"No I insist," she said, "You're a child. It's too dangerous to be out in Argentina alone."

"Well I've survived so far," I shrugged. But maybe she was right. It wasn't like I could keep on moving from house to house forever. I was only thirteen. "But I'll think about it."

~April 1956~

'I'll think about it' soon turned into a 'yes' and I ended up staying with Claire for a while. We even moved to America and lived in a house up in Chicago. Claire treated me like her own daughter and I finally felt like everything was normal again.

Of course, my random outbursts of freezing time continued, but I got better at controlling them. Luckily, Claire still had no clue about my abilities, and I wasn't planning on telling her ever.

"Hey Isabelle," Claire waved a hand across my face, trying to get my attention.

I blinked, snapped out of my own thoughts, "Huh?"

"You've got a letter," Claire said with a wide smile on her face as she held out the envelope to me.

I was confused by why she was so excited and took the envelope. Once I read the name of the address, a slight smile arose from my face.

"Open it!" Claire was elated.

"Okay okay," I ripped open the envelope and took out the paper inside, unfolding it. I read it aloud, "Dear Isabelle, it is with great pleasure to inform you that you have been accepted to the esteemed Oxford University....oh my god!!!! I made it!!!"

"You're going to Oxford! I've got to tell the girls!" Claire cheered, "They're going to be so jealous. Can't wait to see the look on their faces."

I smiled excitedly, continuing to read the envelope. Things had been going so well for me and I felt like I could finally be normal.