Chapter Five

"Isabelle, where the bloody hell were you last night? I was searching all over for you,"  Darlene crossed her arms and pursed her lips sassily as she watched me walk into the our dorm. Darlene was raised in Essix, so she had quite the interesting vocabulary.

"It's a long story, and I'm exhausted," I yawned and plopped myself on the couch, tossing my bag on the floor.

"Wait, when did you change into a t-shirt and sweats?" Darlene narrowed her eyes then suddenly a smile creeped up her face, "Did you spend the night with someone?"

"Depends on what spending the night with someone means to you," I muttered, rubbing my tired eyes.

"So you did? What was his name? Was he cute?" my roommate was already harassing me with questions and it was only 10 am.

"It wasn't like that. I got drunk and this creep was trying to take me home until this other guy helped me out and let me spend the night at his place. We didn't do anything, at least I hope. I think he had a girlfriend anyways," I shrugged.

"Wait-so his girlfriend was okay with you sleeping at his house?"

"I guess so. She seemed pretty nice," I said.

"Do I know this lad?"

"I'm not sure. But he goes to our school," I told her, "Think his name's Charles?"

"The Charles Xavier? He's the guy who let you stay at his home?" Darlene's eyes widened.

"Yeah, what's so great about him?" I raised a brow, not really understanding why she was so excited.

"He's literally like the most popular boy on campus," Darlene gushed.

"Really? Must not be that popular if I've never heard of him," I shrugged nonchalantly.

"Every girl has a crush on him and he's incredibly smart and charming. His family is extremely rich and I heard he owns a mansion in New York," Darlene explained, "But I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a girlfriend. I think you met his sister, Raven."

"Yeah, that's her name," I nodded, "But he sounds like some snooty rich kid."

"He's actually quite nice. But I've never had the pleasure of talking to him, so I wouldn't know," Darlene shrugged. "Did you get his number?"

"No," I shook my head, "I just left."

"Why?"

"Not my type," I lied, knowing I couldn't tell her the truth. She didn't know about my powers and I wanted to keep it that way. Sometimes I wished I could live with an oblivious mindset like her, but I knew that would never be a possibility. It was a nice thought though.

~Time Skip~

Usually, I came early to my classes to get an early start on unfinished work. However, today had been such a mess and my alarm clock didn't even go off. So I rushed into class about thirty minutes late and was greeted by deafening stares.

Almost all the seats were taken today except one in the back of the room. Odd, considering how unpopular the renaissance poetry course had been. Nevertheless, I took a seat and started to open my bag, taking out my notebook as the professor continued his lecture.

"Good day," a familiar accented voice greeted.

My eyes widened and I glanced up from my bag to see that I had sat right next to that Charles guy. "What are you doing here?" I whispered angrily.

"What? I can't have an interest in the fine arts?" Charles smiled coyly.

"I've been in this class for about two months now and I've never seen you here once. But now is when you decide to show up?"

"Okay, to be truly honest, I wanted to see you again," he admitted.

"Didn't I make it clear that I didn't want to see you again when I rushed out of your apartment?!?" I shouted, not realizing my voice rose. The murder stares returned and I quickly apologized, glancing back down at my notebook.

Can we settle this over a cup of tea? My treat, Charles' voice resonated through my head.

If I say yes, will you promise to stop the whole reading my mind thing? I said back through my thoughts.

I can try, Charles thought. He glanced back at me with a grin then focused back on the lecture. Man, this guy was weird.

"Deal," I whispered and turned by focus back towards the professor.