Reward (bonus romance)

Alperen had seen glimpses of the future, but nothing expansive. That was good, he thought, as it indicated that there was nothing dangerous in the offing for Jarah and her kingdom.

It seemed that the neither his gift nor his function as advisor was terribly needed, at least for the moment. That left him at loose ends.

Not for the first time, the Queen's seer wished for a glimpse of his own future.

↫↫↫↫↫ ↬↬↬↬↬

Reward

Joshua was free and they were headed back to Starfall Citadel by the same route they had followed to get there. It was more rugged than the main roads, but was also swifter and safer. Arvath and Keladore were delivering the brigands of Pinebluff to the proper authorities and would distribute any reward to their victims. They would rejoin the party just across the border in Falcon's Hill.

After his initial reluctance, Joshua was now firmly committed to his marriage to Jarah and nothing would sway him from his course save the Queen herself. It did all the rest good to see the tangible aura of happiness and contentment that surrounded the betrothed couple, now that all impediments to their union had been surmounted. They rode together, often close enough to clasp hands.

Alperen's wounds from his encounter with the mercenary were healing well under Gwyn's care. His emotions were still raw, however. Rationally he knew that there had been no other option than to defend himself, yet he had killed a man in cold blood, and that was no small thing.

As they made camp for the night, he did what chores he could without aggravating his injured shoulder. Knowing he would lie awake anyway, he volunteered to take first watch. Soon the camp was quiet. He sat with the fire at his back, staring into the night. There was little actual need for watching, as Seda had warded the camp, but he would at least keep the fire going.

"Stop it," Inali said, sitting beside him. The turmoil in his bi-colored eyes worried her.

"I can't." He hadn't heard her approach, but then he never did. He didn't pretend he didn't know what she was talking about.

"You didn't vex yourself over killing Ladolfo's guardsmen."

"That was foreseen and unavoidable."

"And this was also foreseen, if not so specifically," Inali said softly, laying a small hand gently on his uninjured shoulder. "That's why I taught you to defend yourself, remember? And it was just as unavoidable. That man would have killed you."

Alperen said nothing. He knew she was right, but he couldn't shake the haunting of the 'what if ... .' What if the man was just an ordinary soul doing his job? What if he had a family depending on him? What if his only crime was to be joined to that keep?

"Bull was a vicious, greedy man." Inali gave his shoulder a gentle squeeze. "He was a bandit and a thug and his men were like him. Don't torture yourself, gentle seer. Had you not ended his life, he would have faced the noose like the rest of them."

"You're right." Alperen took a deep breath, and let it out on a long sigh. "Yet I can't help but think of all the times I've sent others to fight and kill ..."

"Stop." Inali reached out and rubbed his head. The soft growth of night dark hair that had sprung up since he had stopped using the paste felt silken soft against her palm. "You're not the author of your visions, remember?" He nodded with a wry little grin. "Why, then do you take responsibility for where they lead? Alperen, you've been carrying the burden of restoring Tor Astaria on your shoulders for all of these months. You're tired and weary and that's why your mind keeps spinning in circles this way. You need to relax." She couldn't resist once again ruffling the straight, soft hair she found so intriguing.