27. Anything Can Happen - Epilogue

Начните с самого начала

"Yeah, and it's a hell of a lot better than what I was doing in high school." Somehow, interning for the mayor wasn't what it was cracked up to be. Instead of attending conferences and watching diplomats in action, I was cleaning spilled coffee and ironing ties.

56, 57, 58; finally. Jake was waiting outside the door like I knew he would and the moment his eyes met mine, a huge smile blossomed at his lips. "Little man!" He yelled and before I could dodge it, he engulfed me into a hug so tight, I wouldn't be surprised if my eyes balls popped right out of their sockets.

Once he placed me down and my insides stopped aching, I gave him the customary smack at the top of his head. "You dyed your hair." I noted and he reddened just slightly, tapping the top of it with a nervous laugh.

"Yeah, I decided to see if blondes have more fun for real."

I chuckled and shook my head just slightly before looking behind him. "Where's the Misses?"

"She's picking up the kids from Aunt Abby's house."

I frowned. "Is she still going to try for mayor?" Jake and Karla had moved to NYC a year ago and frequently visited me when they had the chance. It was something I enjoyed because it felt like the good old days and that time wasn't moving as fast as I had believed it was.

He rolled his eyes. "You know Karla, Spence. She's not going to give up until she's defeated." Jake looked around himself until his eyes landed on Emilio awkwardly playing with his thumbs behind us. "Speaking of significant others..." Jake trailed, hoisting a brow into the air.

Emilio swallowed and stepped closer, fumbling his way over to Jake so he could offer a hand. "Hey, I'm, uh, Emilio Blake."

Jake took the hand and threw me a sly side glare. "How long have you two been...?"

Emilio's hand slowed in the shake and his eyes darted between me and Jake and back again before his hand outright stopped moving. "Oh no. Me and Spencer aren't dating; we work together is all. I'm as straight as plywood."

Jake nodded, but kept side-eyeing me. He finally allowed his grip to slip from E's and turned his attention back to me. "So, where's Suzy?"

"In Africa – don't ask." I chuckled. "She said something about trying to find herself amongst the lions or something of the sort." Jake slowly nodded his head and his eyes sank for just a second. "She forgave you."

"Good." Jake and Suzy's relationship proved a bit more toxic than any of us had anticipated. They fought more times than they made up...and not long afterwards, they broke up; enter Karla. The rest is bitter and sometimes unspeakable history, but most of the tension was gone by now.

"Good." I smiled, patting him on the shoulder. "Now, where's Russo and Amy? Still planning the wedding?"

"Yup. They're in South Korea as we speak. I'm flying out next week Thursday for the Bachelor party. You should come."

"Pass." I blurted. "I have work."

Before Jake could (annoyingly) interject, the door leading to inside the room opened and our attention was now to a short and plump nurse with a few papers in her hands. "Are you here for Shannon Littman?"

"Yes." The three of us said in some kind of union; one that had the nurse darting her eyes between us.

"Well, the mother is sleeping right now and I don't want her to be disturbed so, two a time." I looked at Emilio and he waved it off, basically saying that me and Jake should go in; but, as the both of us stepped forward, the nurse pushed us back. "There's already one in there besides the husband. So, only one of you can go in now."